PDA

View Full Version : RPM related heavy blue-white smoke & power loss

dieselbegreat
10-03-2007, 04:16
Hi everybody. I just installed the electric fuel pump to cure no fuel pressure. It now starts right away and will pull a converter stalling load (with the usual amount of black smoke) with the brakes on BUT, when the RPMs wind up at full throttle, there is a lot of blue-white smoke and surging power loss. What could the problem be? Thanks for your time.

Robyn
10-03-2007, 05:53
If you are just free reving the engine, you are up against the governor.
They all will surge up and down and smoke some at this point.

As long as the little critter runs smoke free under normal conditions all is well.
If your getting blue white smoke under driving conditions that is a different story though.

Hope this helps

Robyn

dieselbegreat
10-03-2007, 17:48
In gear, under heavy load - not just revving in neutral.

Robyn
10-03-2007, 20:07
First off always check the filter/s
If this is ok be sure you dont have any air coming into the system. Install a clear plastic hose on the return line out of the IP.
If no air then the IP is probably heading south.

How many miles on the IP ????

These older units are a great pump but depending on the care the system has had about 100K is getting on into the autumn of its life span.

The Pumps are not all that bad to change and dont cost a terrible amount to get rebuilt.

The advance pistons go away as well as several other parts.

Good luck and keep us posted

Robyn

dieselbegreat
10-04-2007, 22:18
Thanks. Yes, a couple years ago I installed a beautiful perfect rebuild from MWFI and, when I was having some vibration issues because of the harmonic balancer, the crummy Chevy dealer insisted on changing that IP out for a crappy one rebuilt by their local shop. I should just put the original one back on which had about 100K and was fine.