PDA

View Full Version : Winters commin' Red or Green ?

DaveNY
10-01-2007, 18:53
Time to tune up the cooling system and change the thermostats , check hose's and belts. Just looking for some thoughts on coolant selection. I am planning on Flushing and switching back to green. Have seen some issues with a couple of Cats at work that came with ELC from factory. all our latest trucks have been spec'd out with green stuff. Cant say Ive' experianced any problem with the ELC so far (135000 mi) The stuff just makes me a little uneasy. Any Thoughts?
Dave

More Power
10-02-2007, 10:56
I vote for Dex-Cool.

Dex has several advantages over the green, and it sounds like you've had good luck with Dex for 135K. Why change horses now?

Jim

restoguy
10-06-2007, 20:50
I heard that CAT was having some problems and was going to re-formulate their coolant. I haven't heard of anyone else going away from the ELC so I'm going to stick with it. I know that several GM cars and trucks have experienced gasket corrosion problems, but some of those never had 'pink' in them from the factory so I have to think it's got more to do with the gasket than the antifreeze. I'm keeping my ear open about the situation, but for now I'd stay with ELC.

DaveNY
10-07-2007, 19:49
I personally havent had problems but have noticed some at work in the 04-05 Cats. although we had a 99' that corroded the water filter every 10-12,000 miles. The suff Im seeing on the newer models are issues between disimilar metals almost like that of electrolysis. I use the glycol in the Cats on the boat but the burb had the ELC when I got it. True no problems so far but was just throwing this out there to see if there was any thing going on with the 6.5s
Dave

Nobby
10-08-2007, 07:10
Hey Dave,
I'm considering going green and running SCA's probably with a filter. My SCA of choice is Fleetguard DCA4, its what I usually recommend to my clients for their boat engines. I am not liking the stories you here about the red and sludging up etc. Sure using SCA means checking it regularly but I am in the habit of doing that anyway for customers etc. The way I see it also it means that glycol portion does not need to be changed and will last much longer.
If you fancy being more enviro friendly then go purple with SCA.

cheers
Nobby

Robyn
10-08-2007, 07:25
My 95 Western Star came with the green stuff and I switched it over to the RED ELC back in 2000 as I was seeing water pump seepage all the time
The truck has the 3406E 500 HP in it and I have run the ELC now since 2000 and not even one issue that I am aware of.
I have used Cat ELC as well as Shell brand ELC.
It seems to keep Kitty Kitty water pump seals a lot happier.

I have never run the stuff in my light rigs though.

I had a ton of good old green that I picked up at a shop sell out a few years ago for a song so I wont need any new stuff for quite a while.

The reason I went to the Red stuff was to help with the water pump issues on the Kitty and at the time the buzz word was it was far better at stopping errosion cavitation and all sorts of other nasty stuff.

?????????/

Robyn