PDA

View Full Version : Dual Mass to a more Solid Foundation

MaxACL
09-29-2007, 11:06
I've searched South Bend for a replacement Flywheel but can't quite nail this down. Has anyone done this conversion before?

Since the Dual Mass last me about a year, I will change to a solid flywheel at next occation but I have looked up and down and can't find info on a replacement for an LB7. Lots of stuff for racing, dual disk up grades, but no clear message for "A Dual Mass Replacement". South Bend is confusing.

.02 cents please.

Mike

PS If you have an LB7 with a ZF-6 six speed and it starts to smoke, it could easily be the flywheels fault. Really. Look at my post on the DuraMax side under "Injectors Again".

dieseldummy
09-29-2007, 18:52
I've got a SMF from south bend in my '01. What you probably want is a SMF kit with an organic clutch disk. Call southbend direct or John@ dynadroitdiesel.com and they can get you setup with what you need.

MaxACL
09-29-2007, 20:35
dieseldummy

How do you like the single compared to the dual mass? I pull a lot of heavy trailers. Will the single hold up? Duh... Look at what I have now:)

Mike

dieseldummy
09-30-2007, 20:11
The single has a little gear roll over noise at idle, but is great otheriwise. If I could do it all again I'd get the organic disk vs the ceramic disk. The ceramic is fairly jerky when starting out which makes towing harder. I tow upto 30K+ GCVW and haven't had an issue yet. SMF is the only way to go IMO.

MEP
10-09-2007, 16:00
I put a solid steel flywheel with organic disk from SBC in my 01 about 15 months/15 thou. miles ago and have not had any problems. Application is street use, no towing, a lot of city driving. Engine runs great. No rough idle.