PDA

View Full Version : 300+ Horsepower from a 6.2L?

ThePIGSmith
09-28-2007, 20:04
I've been involved in a discussion with some 6.2L Nay-Sayers that the 6.2L is a dog.
I am under the impression that given parts, $$$ and time, a person could build a 6.2L to produce 300-325HP.

So, now that I have opened my mouth, am I required to eat crow?
Is 300-325HP possible?
Is that 300 HP to hard to make or give the parts and $$$, simple to make?

Ok...I know that is a very open ended question.
I do not have particular application in mind, like a go-fast car, light PU, dually tow rig...DD, 4X4 off-road, Interstate trailer towing service.

I am looking for general comments and the basic formula to produce 300+HP

Robyn
09-28-2007, 20:17
Howdy
To answer your question without exceptions, Yes it can be done.
Now for the exceptions. To get 300 HP the little creature is going to need to be turbo charged. An after cooler will be needed and a radiator and fan that can rid the little fire breathing monster of the heat it is going to build.

In theory your could probably build 400 HP but the het rejection factor is the issue.
Peninsular Diesel builds some real nasty 6.5's and the 6.2 is almost the same engine. The big deal is that these High HP engines are running in Boats where there is an endless supply of cold water to cool the engine as well as the charge air coolers.

In a truck 300 is achievable and has been done. read about the Power Project that Jim did . (More Power)

The big thing is not running your little monster into the "Crispy Zone"
They will melt, seen a couple turboed 6.2's with serious case of Fluid Piston.

Yup melted the tops right out of a couple slugs they did.

With the $$$$ to spend the tech is there to make a 6.2 run with the big dogs and really give the nay sayers a scare.

Hope this helps

OH BTW crow is not very tasty, try not to place thyself in a position that requires dinning on such. :D Its almost as bad as having egg on ones face or both feet inserted in the mouth.

Robyn :)

gophergunner
09-28-2007, 21:46
and time for my general comment......

anytime i hear anyone make fun of the 6.2 or 6.5 for anything at all i ask them why would it be so popular if its junk. sure its nothing near the power of a duramax, cummins or powerstroke. but correct me if i'm wrong, the basic idea behind the 6.2 originally was to make good fuel mileage. which it did. and these days a 6.2 seems to be a good engine swap for jeeps and even toyotas. so even if its not a super power i like it cause its simple and reliable if you treat it right. :rolleyes:

DmaxMaverick
09-28-2007, 22:38
Not sure about the actual HP output, but here's some video of a 6.2 and a 6.5 in a tractor (same tractor, different engines) that's well past 300.

HERE (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/media/6.5nova/6.2tractor_640x480.wmv).

And HERE (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/media/6.5nova/6.5tractor2pump_640x480.wmv).

Robyn
09-29-2007, 08:31
yes yes, here here

I had one of the early production 82 GMC Jimmy's (4X4) with the red 6.2.
I traded for it when it had 187K on the clock.
I ran it to 300K+ and it carried me all over the Northwest and several trips to LA and back and always got 23-26 MPG on the Hwy

Now the naysayers can howl all the want about "Converted Gas" NOT SO grasshopper.

The 6.2/6.5 has had issues BUTTTTTTT lets talk about the mighty Power Stroke that so many folks rave about. HMMMMMMMM been there done that back in 97.
My one and only new Ford (later years) with a PSD. I drove it exactly 17 miles from the dealer and the engine went all over the street in a big bang and cloud of smoke and NO hardy HI OH Silver either.
Truck was brand new, took 3 months to get it back and it was a POS until I sold it 3 years later with 24K on the clock.
I could never trust it to go anywhere without something on that beast failing. (Cranks sensor,electronic this or that) :eek:

Now lets talk Dodge, Hmmmmm had one of those that I could not keep trannies in.

I have tried them all and I come back to the GM trucks every time.

We have had 7 Burbs since the late 80's and all were wonderful.
Had 3 dually crew cabs, one extended cab, several older (82-85) pickups as work trucks or toys.

The 6.2/6.5 is overall a great little beast and if cared for will serve well.

Get yourself a trailer hitch cap that reads "Attach Ford, Dodge or whatever here" and just let the naysayers grumble.

I wont say that I will never own another PSD or Dodge Cummins but I prefer the GM rigs.

I would like to try out a DMax but they are outside my budgit at this time.
I really would love to stuff one with an allison into a 91 Blazer. :D:D

Oh well still a kid at heart I guess.

Enjoy and dont let the naysayers get you down.

Robyn

gophergunner
09-30-2007, 06:04
the 6.2/6.5 mechanic i talked to told me that there was a 6.9 litre diesel that ford used which was an actual gas conversion. i don't know how true it is.....anyone care to reinform me?:confused:

also.......WHERE DO I GET MY HANDS ON ONE OF THOSE HIGH REVVING 6.2 DIESELS LIKE THE ONE IN THAT MASSEY TRACTOR???????????????:eek:

worldf
09-30-2007, 06:49
yes yes, here here

I had one of the early production 82 GMC Jimmy's (4X4) with the red 6.2.

Is there something different about that motor? My 82' Burb has one.

DmaxMaverick
09-30-2007, 10:39
the 6.2/6.5 mechanic i talked to told me that there was a 6.9 litre diesel that ford used which was an actual gas conversion. i don't know how true it is.....anyone care to reinform me?:confused:

also.......WHERE DO I GET MY HANDS ON ONE OF THOSE HIGH REVVING 6.2 DIESELS LIKE THE ONE IN THAT MASSEY TRACTOR???????????????:eek:

True. The 6.9L and 7.3L are converted IH gassers. Good ones, but conversions nonetheless. The GM Diesels were designed by Detroit from the ground up. Similarities between the GM Diesels and gassers were by design, due to the application, fitment and manufacture tooling. They needed to be easily installed in place of the GM gassers with minimal modification of the chassis.

If you want one a dem der high revvers, you'll have to build it. They'll tell you how.

DmaxMaverick
09-30-2007, 10:42
Is there something different about that motor? My 82' Burb has one.

The 1982 "red" blocks have a higher nickel content. Makes for a stronger block, and are less prone to cracking and other issues. Very desirable for a 6.2 rebuild. The latest AMG blocks went back to this.

Busted
09-30-2007, 13:29
My '82 CC has a black block, does that mean it's been swapped/rebuilt, or did not all 82's come with the red blocks?

DmaxMaverick
09-30-2007, 13:58
I've seen some late model year builds (~April 82) with black blocks. I don't know if they just changed the paint, or if the blocks are different. Otherwise, it's been repainted or replaced.

gophergunner
10-02-2007, 10:21
is the owner/builder of that Massey tractor on this forum?? if so who might it be, i wouldn't mind some build plans for that high revving engine......if the person wouldn't mind sharing that is;)

DmaxMaverick
10-02-2007, 10:32
6.5 NOVA

He's in here once in a while.

6.5NOVA
10-02-2007, 12:20
Hello gophergunner,

The massey tractor is from Lammert ter Heide from holland, take a look on theyr website;

www.deoldstock.nl and go to the fotoalbum. rpm`s is not the problem lammert has removed the max rpm reguletor from the pump`s. on this moment Lammert has an big inline p-pump on the 6.5

6.5NOVA
10-02-2007, 12:29
here are some picktures from the 6.5 withh big inline pump

gophergunner
10-02-2007, 22:00
thats a nice lookin machine.............and it sounds awesome:cool:

wish i had that sucker in my pickup truck

arveetek
10-06-2007, 08:18
here are some picktures from the 6.5 withh big inline pump

That's gotta be one of the coolest things I've ever seen!

What was that inline pump originally used for?

Casey