PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug / Starting - passenger side smoke

82gmc
09-27-2007, 21:41
I am a new owner of a 83 GMC with a rebuilt 6.2L about 45K on rebuild (runs great).

When I start my truck at about 40 - 30 degrees (coldest it's been this year) it smokes from the passenger side - white un burned fuel. When / once warm no smoke at all.

I figured bad glow plugs. I checked all eight and they are good. I removed the wire and did continuity check.

Is it possible I do not have power to some of the plugs? Is this a symptom of a bad controller? What is the best way to troubleshoot this issue?

Is there a way to tell which type glow plugs I have without removal from the motor????

I love my truck and I want to take good care of it. Thank you for your help!

JohnC
09-28-2007, 11:29
Don't know for sure about the '83s, but the later trucks have a fusable link for each bank. Or, you could have slower glow plugs on one side, or injectors with a less desireable spray pattern.

82gmc
09-28-2007, 17:20
Sorry, Typing error.

Black engine due to rebuild.

I will use a volt meter to see if power is getting to the GP's.

I hope that is the problem.

I will follow up after the test.

Harri
10-05-2007, 09:48
Hi !

My first post here (so I'm newbie:p Hello from Finland to everybody)

Reason the smoke comes from pass side is that emission system, EGR closes drivers side exhaust and leads everything trought pass side, when the engine warms up the valve opens and both pipes let smoke throught...sorry about my english, haven't write on english forums for awhile:rolleyes: