PDA

View Full Version : GMC 6.2 Glow Plugs & Controller (1988) Questions

mchitko
09-26-2007, 19:46
Hello all! First thread by a new member here.

My glow plugs are the AC 11G's . My engine will not start after sitting for over two months. Fuel is present at the injectors but no fire in the holes. I took out two glow plugs and ran a hot wire from the battery to the spade and a ground wire to threads. I left them on for about 8 seconds max. The glow plugs got hot but did not glow cherry red. Is this a sign of a weak glow plug? Do glow plugs get weaker over time?

I have the integrated glow plug controller and relay. It seems to be OK as the relay clicks and voltage comes out the correct (output) side post. I have not yet found the part wher ethe one wire for each bank splits into 4 wires (one to each glow plug). Any suggestions? Could that be a potential problem area?

Also, I am thinking of getting new glow plugs. Anyone here with experience with the WAP Dual Coil glow plugs mfg'd by Wellman Auto Products?

Thanks!
Mike Chitko
Arcadia, WI
1988 GMC Sierra 6.2L 4WD 1/2 ton

More Power
10-06-2007, 23:13
The AC-11G should get bright orange hot on the tip when glowed for 8-10 seconds. I've used jumper cables, a fully charged car battery and a vise to hold plugs during the test.

You'll need to eliminate a glow wiring problem before suspecting the glow plugs. Plugs usually work or they don't....

Jim

Mikeandwendy74
10-16-2007, 17:10
Don't forget to check your battery with a meter:) See what kind of voltage your outputting. 12.5 volts and up is a good sign