PDA

View Full Version : '01 2500HD, beating a dead horse.

headymusk
09-26-2007, 08:29
I read a thread dated 4-30-2002 about the launch shudder. I took my truck in for this problem, when I had 7500 miles on it. I was told, more or less, that they could not do anything for me, that this is just the way this truck is. Now I have 99500 miles and I read this thread and call my dealer and he says that he is not aware of any kind of TSB from GM adressing this problem. When I called GM they told me the same thing. He said just because I read it on the internet does not mean it is a legitimate TSB. So, if anyone can supply me with a legitimate TSB it would be highly appreciated. The GM customer service tech. is going to be calling from Detroit in two days to see if I came up with anything. GM is considering replacing my driveshaft if there is a GM TSB out on my truck because I did have it in the shop for that problem while it was under warrety. :o

Headymusk
Toledo, OH
2001 2500HD LS
Ext.cab LB 6.6L
Unmolested other than
used for fishin' Canada!

77TransAm
09-26-2007, 10:21
Try this thread:
(http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=17195)
(The #01-04-17-001B is the TSB number.)

Launch Shudder on Acceleration (Install New One-Piece Propeller Shaft) #01-04-17-001B

1999-2002 Chevrolet and GMC K2500/3500 Extended Cab Long Box and Crew Cab Short Box Pickup Models With Automatic Transmission

This bulletin is being revised to add model information, remove procedure steps and change parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-04-17-001A (Section 04 -- Driveline Axle).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a vibration during acceleration from 0-40 km/h (0-25 mph). This may also be referred to as launch shudder. This condition may be more noticeable when the vehicle is carrying cargo or is used for towing.

Correction
A new propeller shaft is available for service to correct this condition. This new propeller shaft is a one-piece design and will replace the current two-piece design.

Install a new one-piece propeller shaft on affected vehicles. Refer to the service procedure and the parts information listed below. Match the affected vehicle with the appropriate propeller shaft. Refer to the usage information below. This fix does not apply to the Chassis/Crew Cab Models (K35943).

1.Remove the propeller shaft assembly and the center bearing. Refer to the Propeller Shaft - Two Piece procedure in the Propeller Shaft sub-section of SI2000. For this bulletin, it is not necessary to mark the components for re-assembly.

Important
The center bearing support bracket (1) must be removed in order to provide enough clearance for installation of the one-piece propeller shaft. Avoid damaging the crossmember during removal of the center bracket. For proper clearance, no more than 13 mm

headymusk
09-26-2007, 19:45
Thanx 77TransAm,
I called GM and was told they are not aware of this TSB. So are they handing me a line of crap or is this bullitin not issued by them? They said if I could come up with a GM TSB that they would have it fixed. I have no idea how to prove that this is a legitimate TSB. HEEEELP!!

77TransAm
09-26-2007, 20:27
That was an exact cut-and-paste of the bulletin that I downloaded when I had access to those things at work. If your dealer can't find TSB #01-04-17-001B, I'd call a different dealer.

That exact bulletin was put out by GM, and I performed the update many times. Someone is giving you a run-around.

jbplock
09-27-2007, 05:48
I couldn’t find TSB# 01-04-17-001A on www.Alldatadiy.com (http://www.alldatadiy.com/) .. may have been superceded .. However I did find TSB# 01-04-17-004B, Date: January 05, 2005. - note the comment highlighted in red

I also seem to remember a previous bulletin that recommended greasing the slip yoke .. I get an occasional bump/slip when backing up that I have assumed was the slip yoke binding but I haven’t gotten around to greasing it.

TSB# 01-04-17-004B

Subject: Clunk, Bump or Squawk when Vehicle Comes to Complete Stop or Accelerating from Complete Stop (Replace Rear Drive Shaft Nickel-Plated Slip Yoke)

Condition: Some customers may comment on a clunk, bump or squawk noise when the vehicle comes to a stop or when accelerating from a complete stop.

Cause: A slip/stick condition between the transfer case output shaft and the driveshaft slip yoke might cause this condition.

Diagnostic Tips: There are several resources in the electronic Service Information System, which can provide the technician with information on diagnosis and repair of clunk conditions, and fix the customer's vehicle right the first time without unnecessary parts replacement. Some of the documents available in SI include:

Symptoms - Propeller Shaft

Knock or Clunk Noise
Rear Drive Axle Noises (SI Document ID #700580) Launch Shudder/Vibration on Acceleration (Replace Propeller Shaft and Install a New Pinion Flange/Seal), Bulletin # 02-04-17-001 ( This one wasn't listed on alldata but maybe try the dealer)
Information on 2-3 Upshift or 3-2 Downshift Clunk Noise, Bulletin # 01-07-30-042
Driveline Clunk When Stopping (Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Bulletin # 03-07-30-028 Correction: Replace the rear drive shaft slip yoke with a new nickel-plated slip yoke.:)

DmaxMaverick
09-27-2007, 07:47
The TSB is real and on Alldata. 01-04-17-001B wasn't there, but 01-04-17-001A is. The language is the same as posted by 77TransAm. Pure lazy if the dealer can't find it. Print the below images and show them to the service manager. If he still don't buy it, call GMCS yourself.

headymusk
09-27-2007, 14:11
Hey, thanx a million Maverick, this is just what the doctor ordered. I have contacted a GM rep. about this and he is pretty much the one giving me crap. He called this morning and said that he hasn't heard anything from the dealer because the dealer has not heard from me. It has been two days so I guess this guy from GM is pretty impatient. I be taking my paper work down to the dealer to watch him do something and then get GM on the line right there at the dealer. Again, THANX.

NutNbutGMC
09-27-2007, 18:55
I hade my driveshaft replaced in a 2001 model under said (original) TSB.

No point other than to say I used the service bulletin for said issue.

jbplock
09-29-2007, 12:24
The TSB is real and on Alldata. 01-04-17-001B wasn't there, but 01-04-17-001A is...

just double checked alldatadiy with my 03 VIN# subscription and there is no 01-04-17-001A listed ... apparently alldata must use VIN# and/or model year to sort TSBs for a given subscription... 01-04-17-001A/B only applied to MY's 99-01 ..

DmaxMaverick
09-29-2007, 12:31
I don't know. They change all the time. The TSB has been revised/superseded (I've seen them, just can't find them now). I called my tech friend at a dealer and he had no problem locating all of them. The fact remains, his dealer is full of crap. His truck is a 2001, so there should be no problem in any case. What we did find should get his dealer off in the right direction, and do what they should.

headymusk
10-29-2007, 09:46
Well, thanx for all your help! I got GM to replace the driveshaft, under warranty, to a one piece shaft.(No Cost). I must say the dealer didn't think to much of it but, who cares. I will not make the mistake of buying another truck from those people. As for Maverick, what shape was the cross member that they where not suppose to cut off? I ask because I believe a flat one is missing but, the round one, that the bearing mount was welded too, is still there. I just want to make sure they are not putting it too me.

DmaxMaverick
10-29-2007, 10:12
The only cross member they needed to mess with is the one with the carrier bearing attached to it (previously), which is tubular, not flat. The problem early on was some dealers were notching the member where the bearing was, or cutting it out completely. All they needed to do is cut off the bearing mount welded to it. Check it to ensure it is still intact, with only the bearing mount removed.

They should not have had to touch any other cross members. Why do think they took out another one? If you suspect a missing cross member, you better get a look at another truck that still has the 2 piece shaft. Or, snap a pic of where you think you should have another cross member, and we can compare it to others.

Well? Did the new shaft fix the problem?

headymusk
10-30-2007, 11:07
They didn't touch the tubuler one other than cutting the bearing mount off of it. What I think I am looking at is the stablizing part of the bearing. And, Yes, it did do away with the shudder. Nice smooth takeoffs now! In pic #16 you see the tube crossmember and that it was alright. You see the main frame also and on the frame you see where there was something there. I can't remember if it was a brace for the bearing or another crossmember. #19 pic shows the frame a little better.

DmaxMaverick
10-30-2007, 11:17
I don't see anything missing/wrong. From what I can see, looks like they did a good job. Has the truck ever been high centered (Mine has a couple of those spots:D) or on a frame lift (like at the dealer or other shop)? That could explain the blemish on the frame. Come to think of it, they probably put it on a lift to change your shaft. There should have never been anything OEM attached there.

headymusk
11-04-2007, 10:32
DUH!!! Thanx Maverick, that is what those marks are! Feeling really dumb now! Again Thanx for all the help to everyone!!