PDA

View Full Version : New Banks turbo and other mods

88 K30
09-23-2007, 17:46
Well, I don't really have any pics (it looks just like every other install), but I got my Banks turbo install finished this weekend and man is it nice!! Talk about power! It's like driving a 454 truck!

I haven't totally wrung it out yet, but I did get 9 pounds of boost and about 950* exhaust temp on a good long hill with the pedal matted. And, man was she pulling. Accelerated the entire time. Might need a little more pump, but I'm going to try it out with a loaded car trailer before I turn it up any more.

I had the boost tube, turbo down pipe and crossover tubes Jet-Hot coated and it really does seem to keep the heat down. The down pipe hardly radiates any heat at an idle, even only a few minutes after a hard run. I probably didn't even need to wrap it with the Banks heat shield, but I did, just to be safe, as it is really tight to the injectors/glow plugs and A/C box. I had the boost tube done because my kit didn't come with a chrome tube...:( It looked like tan powder coating. It had flash rust on the inside, which I wasn't thrilled about. That, and the lack of instructions with the exhaust were my only complaints. The exhaust was easy to figure out, but it would have been nice to have a "suggested installation" map... I also got some heat shielding material to wrap the turbo housing to help keep the heat it. That really helps keep the temperature down under the hood, too.

I did a bunch of other stuff while I was at it, including a new Hayden HD fan clutch, Robertshaw 180 t-stat, 8012 electric lift pump and Racor filter. I got a good deal on the lift pump and fan clutch through Amazon.com of all places. $43 for the lift pump and $56 for the fan clutch with free shipping!

I spent quite a bit of time re-routing hoses and stuff, but the install was easy and straightforward. Breaking the t-stat housing bolts off in the crossover set me back a bit :mad:, but I probably only had 22 hours (over 2 weeks) in everything, including fixing the t-stat housing, adding the electric pump and Racor filter and installing the turbo kit.

I'll follow up with some pics of stuff once I get a chance to take a few... Thanks for listening. I had to share!

Subzilla
10-01-2007, 18:13
I'm jealous!! Great to hear you had success. I wish I would have done the install when I got my Sub with 130k miles on it. It has about 270k now and I'm a little afraid to add the extra stress, now. Have fun with your new beast!