PDA

View Full Version : 1991 3/4 ton 6.2 oil cooler question

BostonKev
09-20-2007, 21:05
Hi All, I purchased this truck almost a year ago (61k miles) for plowing my driveway and I noticed that it was leaking oil from apparently where the oil cooling lines attach by the oil filter. I was thinking the easiest way to solve this might be to just remove the oil cooler all together since I really don't use the truck much or is there a typical point of failure on these? Crush washer maybe? Also, would anyone know what size the giant bolt that holds the cooling assembly to the engine is? Thank you

JeepSJ
09-20-2007, 21:45
Leaky oil lines are a common problem. Search the forums and you will find all kinds of solutions. There are a couple home grown remedies, and a couple of the vendors here sell kits that replace the crappy factory lines.

DO NOT remove the cooler - that is a very bad idea.

john8662
09-20-2007, 21:59
Big question, which body style?

Like the 82-87 or the later, used from 88-2000 ?

Not familiar with any big bolt in that area, just the lines, there are in some cases retainer brackets in those areas.

But, as to the original question, you cannot bypass the oil cooler, the engine MUST have this circuit to keep cool.

J

BostonKev
09-21-2007, 07:10
it's the newer long bed body style. It was a town fire dept truck. Body has zero rust on it. I'm dealing with a broken starter bolt at this moment but it runs good. I replaced the fuel & return line recently so I figured I'd attack the oil leak whil I was under it. I appreciate all the help.

JeepSJ
09-21-2007, 19:54
it's the newer long bed body style. It was a town fire dept truck. Body has zero rust on it. I'm dealing with a broken starter bolt at this moment but it runs good. I replaced the fuel & return line recently so I figured I'd attack the oil leak whil I was under it. I appreciate all the help.

That brings up another issue - make sure you have the starter support bracket. Without that bracket, you will keep breaking starter bolts.