PDA

View Full Version : glow plug switch

troyd1
09-18-2007, 19:25
I got a 83 2500 4wd 6.2 diesel that I am restoring. Haven't gotten that far but am keeping basically keeping the frame and drivetrain of this truck and changing all the body on it. Before I tore it down, it plowed snow for me for 3 years. My question is this: when I bought the truck the glow plug relay was not controled by the key switch. Someone had wired the glow plugs on a separate switch. I enjoyed this arrangement and it always worked. Then I ripped the cab off. I see no wires on the outside of the cab for the switch so I assumed the job was done in the inside of the vehicle. After a quick look today I couldn't really tell where the wire went. I am not saying I cannot find it, I just can't find it easily. The new cab I am using will be from a non-diesel but with very clean interior wiring, no taps, no jumpers,etc. I would just like to use my interior wiring and plug into the diesel's external wiring(yet to be restored). So my ideal solution would be to install a push button or similar switch to run the plugs. Wiring diagrams,explanations, I know it's probably all on this sight but I've done a few searchs and a little nudge in the right direction would help. Thanks.

porboyz
09-18-2007, 21:23
Try here:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/62book.htm

john8662
09-20-2007, 21:49
if it was purely manual in that you could flip the switch and leave the plugs on for your own time, then all you need is one wire that connects directly to the relay, the red wire on the small terminal.

Just apply 12v there.

If the glow controller was still used and turned on by a switch, but you leave the switch on and the controller turns the plugs off when ready, then something else has been done.

J