PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather life saver for $455

markrinker
12-15-2004, 09:32
My wife got me an early Xmas present. 1500 watts continuous, 1850 peak. Also has a built in 12V charger circuit that supplies 15 amps and tapers the charge as the battery comes up to full capacity.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=429&R=429

Two days ago, the temps dropped to 6 degrees F. I plugged in the truck, hooked up the battery, and fired up the generator. 4 hours later, the truck started easily.

No more worries about trucks (or skidsteers) left overnight away from 110VAC. (This happens regularly when leaving snow equipment onsite at malls and such - very few 'free' electrical outlets left available these days...)

[ 12-15-2004, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

moondoggie
12-17-2004, 06:21
Good Day!

I'd keep her - I think she's sweet on ya. ;)

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

markrinker
12-17-2004, 07:00
Planning to!!!

I fired it up in the living room, with the Christmas tree plugged in as a 'test'. (My kids are convinced that I'm related to Tim the Toolman Taylor...)

Peter J. Bierman
12-20-2004, 02:02
I think your kids are right!
Just don't rewire the thing,

Ahr ahr ahr!! :D

Peter

Kennedy
12-20-2004, 09:47
Looks like a neat package!

I have the now discontinued Coleman Ultimite. It has a very raspy Robin 2 stroke engine, but has 12and 24vDC outputs direct to jumper cables. Best thing is, it only weighs about 18#. Runs 110 at like 1100 watts. Servo motor controls engine RPM based on load for the 12-24VDC regulation.

markrinker
12-20-2004, 14:37
Very handy. Have now tested it on all three diesel vehicles, results are all good after 4 or 5 tests.

At -8 the other morning, one tank of fuel (~1 gallon) is enough to take the vehicle from stone cold to batteries topped off and block warm enough to start and have heat out the vents in short order.

Here is a VERY inexpensive one that should do the job...2-stroker, 800 watt (continuous), 12V output. Not sure if there is any battery sensing function on these models? Would have to be careful not to overcharge batteries that were already in good shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64005&item=3861036240&rd=1

...or how about DIESEL with electric start???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42908&item=3860794030&tc=photo

TIM THE TOOLMAN SAYS "ARR ARRR ARRRRRRRR MERRY XMAS!!!!"

[ 12-20-2004, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

GMC Hauler
12-21-2004, 09:49
Another option some of you do it your-selfers may want to consider is making your own generator. Find a lawnmower, preferably one that someone is throwing away. 3-5 horse is a good range. Salvage the engine. Ususally these engines are not properly maintained and can be easily fixed. Use an old GM 1 wire alternator, preferably one with a v-belt pulley. You mount the alternator and lawnmower engine on a frame that you make up. This design will give you a better charging rate on the DC end (the rating of the alternator). If you are thrifty, you can make this for under $100. It doesnt provide 120VAC of course.
Somewhere I have read that you can make an alternator put out 120VDC. That would work for your block heater, being that it is only a resistive load. I have seen the welding alternators you can install do this.

markrinker
12-21-2004, 10:04
Awesome idea. An inverter would take care of the 110VAC needs. 6.5 block heaters need 400 watts. This one would have that and leave power to spare for the 12V charging side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=85805&item=5738328632&rd=1

Bill Siver
12-21-2004, 16:33
I have been looking for a weed eater engine to do this with. I have had 2 "Booster Pack" type emergency battery boosters, but if you don't regularly charge them, they go dead and won't charge. I figure with the weedwacker engine, you could keep the whole thing lighter. I want to couple the engine to the alt. with a flexable coupling. This would take care of misalignment.

I don't think you would have a problem spinning it fast enough using the weedwacker. They really spin, and you could leave a throttle on it to regulate output, and keep from over spinning the alt.

Bill

TurboDiverArt
12-21-2004, 18:11
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:

Here is a VERY inexpensive one that should do the job...2-stroker, 800 watt (continuous), 12V output. Not sure if there is any battery sensing function on these models? Would have to be careful not to overcharge batteries that were already in good shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64005&item=3861036240&rd=1
I have one of these but it's tagged as a "Buffalo Tools". I use it in the pits when racing for more than a day at a time away from home. I can have my car and my buddies as well as fans and lights going without any problems. Runs for about 8 hours on a tank full, maybe 1-1.5 gallons. If you are using it to charge your batteries, why not use a battery charger and plug it into the generator using 110AC?

I have thought about welding up a mount that could slide into the hitch receiver and mount the generator to it. Lock it in and let it run the block heater, chargers (I have two 1.5 amp trickle chargers) as well as the oil pan heater.

I have looked at all the light posts at my new job and no

TurboDiverArt
12-21-2004, 18:18
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
Awesome idea. An inverter would take care of the 110VAC needs. 6.5 block heaters need 400 watts. This one would have that and leave power to spare for the 12V charging side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=85805&item=5738328632&rd=1 The only thing you have to be concerned about is that when it's really cold and you would really want to heat the block, running the block heater for a couple of hours could take it's toll on the batteries. I thought the block heater was 600Watts? Better have good batteries I think.

Art.

GMC Hauler
12-21-2004, 21:02
Mark intended to use the homemade generator to power the inverter. Therefore, it wouldnt drain your batteries as long as you used it in that configuration.
Take this a step further: What if you used the homemade generator (assuming you had a gas engine with a electric starter) and some sort of timer or a remote start to start it. It could get your truck ready before you got out of work.
The generator can also be used on a travel trailer or 5th wheeel, to charge your batteries.