PDA

View Full Version : '96 worth it?

captaincrunch
12-15-2004, 06:54
I've got the 96 6.5L light duty (L56) with 178k+/- on it.

I'm getting a leak around a threaded hose insert in the water pump.

I'm wondering . . .
Is this motor worth upgrading?

New HO water pump $340
Phazer Gears $375

and I've never replace these so I might as well -
Injectors $320
Glow Plugs $80

I've got a 3-1/2" mandrel bent pipe (stock down and crossover) with Magnaflow exhaust. I disconnected the EGR valve on the intake plenum. (looking for a L65 intake/plenum w/o the EGR)

So far I'm spending $1115 plus misc parts, etc.

Is this motor worth that extra money?

john8662
12-15-2004, 07:25
If the engine runs great, I'd spend some of that money, I'd do the waterpump upgrade, but that will also require the new dual thermostat crossover too. I'll bet your engine has the single stat now.

The injectors should be pretty tired at that mileage, I'd replace those too, and the glow plugs, especially on the turbo side while you have it all apart. Don't go with anything other than the Quickheat plugs.

So..

Waterpump (115)
Crossover (150 at the dealer)
glowplugs (80 from Kennedy)
injectors (260 - 330)

I'd spend that, I don't think at 176k that changing the timing set out will be much benefit. Sure, it'll run better, but for how long? worth the effort?

Exhaust, you really need to change the downpipe. the 1/2 ton trucks have the worst of them all. The 3/4 tons seem to have more room. I've seen a few 1/2 L56 trucks that had the most horribly bent down-pipes in the world, I couldn't even see how they got the 160HP rating through the coffee straw.

captaincrunch
12-16-2004, 11:28
OK,
the leak is (was) around the heater hose. That threaded thing on top. Well I'm so smart I thought I would simply "tighten" it a little . . . well, it shattered into several pieces leaving threads still inside the crossover.

So, that answers my question. Yes, I will have to upgrade now.

So, the Phazer Gears are not recommeded for this old fart of a truck, huh. It still runs fine, seems to anyway. I don't pull anymore (lost the boat) so I don't know if it's lost power or not.

But, I bought it at 89k and it now has 178k and I've never changed the glow plugs. Does that mean they are all swollen and will not come out? Great.

Guess it needs injectors, too, by now. (It's only money).

If I were to go to a dealer, would they put on my stuff that I order from John? Or, would they baulk and want to do it with GM stuff?

This seems like a lot of work for me to try to do in a couple days . . .

Anyone in Atlanta looking to make a few bucks?

G. Gearloose
12-16-2004, 11:44
I have an early '96 L56 (single stat; 1/2" oil lines, no oil spray) and the downpipe is not all that bad, nothing like what I've seen in pictures.

captaincrunch
12-16-2004, 13:10
decided to do it all . . . don't know why

see "need mechanic in Atlanta area"

help???

cruzer
12-16-2004, 13:16
Why not check out the Diesel Depot, There in GA, aren't they?