PDA

View Full Version : My 6.5 has developed an miss

DA BIG ONE
09-16-2007, 05:22
My scan tool scantech has detected a miss (comprehensive) have slight shake and a random sound that reminds me of a lifter out of adjustment. Seems to using extra fuel too, any thoughts?

Robyn
09-16-2007, 12:35
Pinpoint the cylinder thats causing the issue and pull the injector out and have it checked or replace it with a known good one

You most likely have an injector nozzle thats toast.

Another good point would be to do a compression test on the offending hole first. If this finds issues then further digging will be required

Good luck

Robyn

DA BIG ONE
09-16-2007, 18:49
I'm guessing it is behind the turbo, so I'll tear into it soon............

Robyn
09-16-2007, 20:58
Never fails.
Drop your toothbrush and it falls in the toilet. :D

Couldn't possibly be on the LH side, Naw that would make it tooooo easy

john8662
09-16-2007, 22:41
I got lucky with a stuck one once, it was in cylinder #1, was accompanied with a LOUD metallic sound, cracked lines and found it, swapped it out and took it apart, it was STUCK beyond repair.

I know tho, this prolly doesn't help huh? :confused:

J

DA BIG ONE
09-17-2007, 04:16
Well, I hope after all is said and done it is an injector. Only have stock types and running hi-pops in motor.

Perhaps some tech on converting what I have to hi-pop, or do I need a shop to do it?

joed
09-17-2007, 06:52
Does your scanner have the ability to shut off cylinders one by one? This would be the easiest way to isolate the 'bad' cylinder without having to crack the inject. lines.

I have Carcode and it can do this. Certainly a Tech II can do it.

Just another thought.

Joe.

gmctd
09-17-2007, 08:16
Use the scantool to shut down each cylinder - the one(s) that drops rpm the least is the culprit(s)

DA BIG ONE
09-17-2007, 14:05
Does your scanner have the ability to shut off cylinders one by one? This would be the easiest way to isolate the 'bad' cylinder without having to crack the inject. lines.

I have Carcode and it can do this. Certainly a Tech II can do it.

Just another thought.

Joe.

Joe, I have the latest carcode too, I'm hoping you can direct me on how to shut each cylinder off cause I have no idea how most of this carcode works.

Motor has no blowby whatsoever, fuel is good and I just added 2 qts of motor oil to it as per Bill Heaths suggestion thinking it is a sticking injector.

joed
09-17-2007, 15:10
DBO,

Click the 'Test' tab, then the 'Enhanced' Pulldown. I think you may have to hit send at this point. From then, you should have several 'tests' populate the pull down window. Scroll down and you have the options of turning each cylinder off and on.

You do have to set up of L65 parameters first, if you haven't already done so when you first connected the session - this under data tab, enchanced pulldown menu, gm. etc..

Hope this makes some sense.

Joe.

DA BIG ONE
09-18-2007, 03:07
I'll give it a try today thank you.

DA BIG ONE
09-18-2007, 06:00
Bill Heath's suggested 2 qts of motor oil into diesel fuel because it sounds like a sticking injector, drove it and miss is gone now. Bill suggests motor oil into fuel at each fillup, I'll be doing it!

Did check each injector through carcode all working properly now.