PDA

View Full Version : yup, another rebuild question

murphyslaw
09-13-2007, 22:17
so I have been gone for a while.

I am now ready to rebuild my 6.2, I have looked on E-bay and threw the advertisers here as well as put together a parts list from my local shop.

where would you fellas(and gals) recommend purchasing a "kit".

The "kits" I have seen seemed good But I dont want to pay for a Kit then have to go and buy different gaskets(to get felpro ones) and put the chain on the shelf to get a gear set.

So I was thinking about piecing one together threw the local parts peddler, with out the gear set it would cost about 1100, this includes rings, cam, all bearings, oil pump, all gaskets(felpro) water pump and a few other do hickys I cant think of right now. then add the gear set and mabey a fluid damper.

I am looking at putting probely 2k into think engine, but I feel it will be worth it as I expect this thing to last me many many many many years of lovely romps threw the mud and moose hunting trips as well as trips to work and the grocery store, with minimal trips to the parts store and my favorite diesel shop.

help a brother out and give him some direction.

Murphy.

murphyslaw
09-16-2007, 09:29
i need to start on this SOOOOON

advice? any please

john8662
09-16-2007, 22:12
The way you're looking at building the engine is the same way I did my 6.2L in that I got parts from a few different places so I could get the brand components I was looking for.

Pistons:

Mahle, Sealed Power.

Ring Set:

Mahle, or ring set that has 2-piece oil control ring, NOT 3-piece.

Timing Set:

Cloyes, or GM

Bearings:

Clevite, Sealed Power (Fed Mog), or GM

Lifters:

Sealed Power, or SBI, or GM.

Gaskets:

Felpro! (and the bolts too).

Sounds like you've found what you're looking for in parts. Not too many places offer a "kit" for rebuilding these engines, so you'll get what parts they select, some prices good. Remember, rebuilding diesel engines isn't normally done by the owner, usually done by the machine shop providing the service to the block in boring, etc.

Hope this helps!

J

murphyslaw
09-16-2007, 22:55
Thanks john, I will start ordering parts in the AM, Glade you recommended some brands I was sorta at a loss of what good company's made these certain parts.