PDA

View Full Version : 1st allison change ?

Jarmstrong
09-10-2007, 19:59
I'm pretty fanatical about vehicle care, I've already changed the engine oil of my wife's new truck at 500 and now again at 1200 miles and the rear end at 500. I'm getting underway for the next couple of months so i won't have time to do anything else to it. and I won't let anyone else touch it unless it's a warranty item. she'll be towing an aprox. 8k trailer to a horse show at some point but other than that the truck won't be working very hard.

do you think that just a filter change and a top off of dextron VI will surfice for the next 5-10k miles? after that I'll drain and replace with amsoil acouple of times.

thanks
-Jason

Oh yeah, the reason for the post, when do most people here change the tranny fluid for the first time?

gillguy
09-11-2007, 06:45
I haven't done that yet. I did replace the spin on trans filter at about 7500 miles. Got a Wix filter for it.

Mark Rinker
09-11-2007, 18:49
I have over 300K Duramax miles on 5 trucks - a 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 and a 2006. 90% of the miles are towing and the other 10% plowing snow.

No problems with the Allisons. Nothing. Nada. All we do is drain what will drain each 10K oil change interval (~7 quarts), refill, and spin on a new filter.

I always ask, and have never heard of dirty, smelly, or burned fluid. In fact, it always comes out pink and clean and seemingly clean.

My advice? Focus on getting the rear changed again after it is towed for a few thousand, and is fully broken in. Don't sweat the tranny.