PDA

View Full Version : My slowpoke Winnebago

Plato
09-06-2007, 23:26
Hi All

Here to gather some thoughts from all you diesel experts since I have never owned one before. I recently bought a class A 23' Winnebago motorhome for some touring out west. I tow a 7X12 aluminum V nose single axle motorcycle trailer also. Problem is I cant even stay with the 18 wheelers on a grade. Just not enough power.

specs: 1992 6.2 diesel, 4L80E trans, stock dual exhaust, no mods that I am aware of.

Engine/ trans have 91,000+ miles. Good oil presure, no overheat, starts right up, no smoke of any kind. Gets about 14-15mpg

My thoughts: A 3"-3 1/2" dual exhaust system, low restriction mufflers, possibly an X pipe for better low end torque? I dont know how big I can go off the exhaust manifolds. (downpipe) A better air delivery system?
Also a Banks Sidewinder turbo? Any after market performance heads, intake manifold, headers?

I thank you in advance for your thoughts.

JeepSJ
09-06-2007, 23:37
The big exhaust is a good start. Get air in and out and you can turn up the fuel a little. You should add an EGT gauge before you start messing with fuel though.

If you have the EGR style intake, installing a non-egr unit will gain you a little. There is no aftermarket intake available. There are no aftermarket performance heads either. If you are pulling your heads, then there is some clean up you can do in the bowls and match-port them to the intake and exhaust. There have been a couple discussions about headers - do a search. Also, look at the articles over in the member's area where Dr Lee built a nice non-turbo engine and look at the changes that he made.

Turbo is the big power adder. I don't know how much room you have, but you may be able to piece together a system based on the factory 6.5 parts.

DieselCrawler
09-07-2007, 11:42
If at all possible, add a turbo. Did this to my ol' truck, made a huge diffrence. Get some gauges, EGT to know if you're getting too hot and melting pistons, boost 'cause it's cool to watch in relationship to EGT, and since you got an auto trans, and are going to tow, get a trans temp gauge, and keep it below 220 degrees.
Good luck!
Greg

AVM62
09-07-2007, 23:19
Try Peninsular Engines Phone 616.530.1298 · 800.942.0445 · Fax 616.530.2567 · e-mail:
pen-eng@voyager.net

I copied this from the 2006 Rendezvous page. Jim wrote
“This engine configuration is suitable for either a P30 chassis (van or motor home) or an H1 Hummer, due to the fact that the turbo discharge can be positioned to exit either the right or left side of the engine.”

Here is a link. http://www.thedieselpage.com/rendez/ren2006promo.htm

This is what I plan to do to my motor home.