PDA

View Full Version : Why is the floor wet?

bdv
12-13-2004, 16:10
Front passengers side floor carpet is very wet. Have pulled up and dried out two weeks ago now wet again. Thought at first was FRONT heater core but the water is not coming from the top of the carpet under the blower. Water seems to be coming from the bottom by the right side of seat. Have a rear heater (Suburban) but lines run under floor on frame from what I can tell. What am I not seeing?

Thanks for input Brent.

gmctd
12-13-2004, 18:32
Coolant, from leaking hose, is running down inside firewall, along floor to lowest point, under carpet.

Rainwater, leaking down inside firewall, running along floor to lowest point.

Rainwater, pouring thru door panel, runs down sill, along floor to lowest point.

Rainwater, leaking thru top door seal gasket, settles at lowest point, under carpet.

Significant other, sick of that Diesel smell, carefully contributes remaining ice from each coke to 'the cause'.

I'm outta ideas.......... ;)

mklein
12-14-2004, 05:25
check the drain vent for the plenum - it comes out through the firewall on the passenger side. I had a 99 suburban that got blocked, and whenever the A/C was on (such as in defrost) the water would condense, not be able to drain out, and then soak down the carpet.

HowieE
12-14-2004, 08:35
There are no coolant lines running above the floor boards.
There are several sources of leaks on the passanger side of the truck.
The plastic housing for the evaporator of the AC has a tongue and grove mating system that if you look at the door side has a 45 degree incline that ends in a screw boss. During heavy AC use condinsate will fill this grove and leak out at the point of the screw. Don't think that is your problem this week.
The drain from the AC that goes through the firewall also can block. Again not this week.
I would remove the black cowling acroos the base of the windshield. Looking in from the drivers side and under the sheet metal on the passanger side you will see the AC fresh air intake with a collar sitting up about 1 in. Sometimes this collar collects leaves, most often pine needles, and backs rain up to the point it will overflow into the fan housing and leak to the floor. This problem is most often after a long sustained rain as apossed to a downpour.
I have had all three of these.
Lastly the door seal on the bottom of the passanger door may pass water while driving in the rain. If this is the case you should see water on the sill as you open the door.

charliepeterson
12-14-2004, 19:24
I also had an annoying water leak on the driver's side. Only on hard sustained rain did it come in. Turned out to be the seal at the bottom of the windshield. The installer asked if I had a wind leak? I said no water. The last installer left a large gap. No more leaks!

bdv
12-16-2004, 08:50
You have given me some good leads will take some time over the Holidays to check each one out. Thanks for the help Brent.

DeezlStinson
12-30-2004, 17:29
Howdy,

I had this problem on my 1994 Sub several years ago...I had to remove my right front fender to locate it. Water was leaking in at the lower right area below the windshield where there was a slight crack in the sealant in the spot welds right near the right hood hinge. I had a heck of a time finding it because I couldn't believe there would be a flaw there! I ended up drilling out the spot welds and prying the sheetmetal apart far enough to push in new sealant. I then installed bolts in the holes where I drilled out the spot welds and bolted it back tegether. end of leak. If you would like to see a picture of the area in question email me. I can send you a digital picture.

Regards,

Rick

Originally posted by bdv:
You have given me some good leads will take some time over the Holidays to check each one out. Thanks for the help Brent.

David_Jennings
12-31-2004, 16:22
I recently went round and round with this same issue. Be sure to eliminate kids with water bottles. I never found a full one in the truck. They dropped them to the floor and they leaked into the carpet. This simulated a leak. Once water gets under a mat, it will stay forever.

DeezlStinson
01-01-2005, 00:09
Yeah,

I used to have this problem and finally I was yelling at everybody about leaving water bottles etc in the front for me to clean up! Of course I always found them after they leaked! The last one was after I found no bottles...Of course my wife made me eat my words when she found out the leak was due to poor sealant!

Regards,

Rick

Originally posted by David Jennings:
I recently went round and round with this same issue. Be sure to eliminate kids with water bottles. I never found a full one in the truck. They dropped them to the floor and they leaked into the carpet. This simulated a leak. Once water gets under a mat, it will stay forever.