PDA

View Full Version : I need help fast!!! Truck keeps dying

southernk30
09-02-2007, 17:01
This is a 85 m1008 (k30) 6.2. Im stuck 250miles away and need to get home.

Went wheeling down at VA Tech today and my truck started idling rough, kind of sputtering while going down a hill, reved it and it went away. Went further down it died. Couldnt start it until we towed it back up the hill on the flat, I did try to bleed it by pulling off a few injecter lines but not sure if that helped. Also bled it at the filter, at one point in was kinda foamy, but now comes out in a steady line. It finally did start up. Its still sputtering, seems likes its hills that it doesnt like now. I can keep it running by reving it up.

I changed the fuel filter and put a full tank in. I have to drive 250 miles to get home. Does any one have any ideas?? Thanks

simon
09-02-2007, 21:51
Seems like the liftpump is not running constant, might be the OPS going south, I had the same thing the other day. Unless of course if the tank was empty enough to pull some air in the line.
When you shut the engine of, do you hear the liftpump still running for a # of sec, if not OPS is faulty.
You can test that with a jump wire at the fuel rely. cross the passenger front corner terminal with the center rear terminal, this will run the liftpump . if running fine, OPS is gone.
You can leave the jumper in to get home.

DmaxMaverick
09-02-2007, 22:20
It sounds like it could be a fuel pump or a damaged fuel line. It's an 85, so the pump will be mechanical, and no OPS, relays or jumpers to test. Check the weep hole for fuel or engine oil. If there is any fuel or oil at the weep hole on the pump pod, the pump is shot. If the pump appears OK, check the fuel line between the pump and tank for damage. Any fuel leakage with engine off will be an air leak when the pump is pumping.

simon
09-03-2007, 20:00
OOPS, i goofed on the year, sorry about that