PDA

View Full Version : Performance

arrowheadracing
04-07-2005, 04:17
Just wondered opening day for racing my local track is april 17th. I ll hopefully have my little bike done and see if I cant crack in the 10's with it before infusion of the big motor. ( drag racing ).

My question is anyone run thier big cage down the track ? I figure since I ll be out there and they are going to have a small $500 bracket run, I might enter the big beast in that.

Curious to see what 1/4 mile times the 6.5s are capable of. I am going to guess 17's @83 mph or so.

Any takers ??

Here is the low down on my truck.

95 6.5 TD
boost is now at 15 psi
Custom air box with cone filter
Ported and polished upper intake plenum
Chip
4" exhaust
4.10 gears with 285 75 tires
4x4 long bed ext cab 2500
140,000 miles

Also is there any worthwhile performance increase from a gm 4 to gm 8 turbo setup ?

[ 04-08-2005, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]

Cowracer
04-07-2005, 04:43
I ran my CC dually down the 1/4 mile at Gateway International a few years ago.

Bone stock, I think I ran a low 21 at 68 MPH. I never heard a set of timing lights yawn before...

Tim

arrowheadracing
04-07-2005, 04:58
Originally posted by Cowracer:
I ran my CC dually down the 1/4 mile at Gateway International a few years ago.

Bone stock, I think I ran a low 21 at 68 MPH. I never heard a set of timing lights yawn before...

Tim LOL thats a good one ( the timing lights yawn ). I know the Dmax guys race thiers quite a bit. I ve been in a low 11 second Dmax truck and it was a blast to say the least.

I will say that I ve won more money with slow cars then fast cars. I ran a big event years ago with a 25 second Chevy Cavalier wagon 4 cylinder and walked away with $2000 LOL. People where piseed when they had to stage against me as most of them would over heat just waiting for thier light haha.

Thanks

JTodd
04-07-2005, 05:16
People where piseed when they had to stage against me as most of them would over heat just waiting for thier light haha

Thank you. That was the funniest thing I have heard in a while. Good luck at the track.

Billman
04-07-2005, 07:25
17's sounds very generous...

Good luck though.

arrowheadracing
04-07-2005, 08:05
Bummer, I saw a few PS trucks run 17's last year. They didnt seem to be anything special. Who knows, maybe I ll be lucky. The truck doesnt feel fast, or powerful in that sense. But what can I say when you run 10 second vehicles almost everyday in the summer.

DA BIG ONE
04-07-2005, 12:19
Originally posted by arrowheadracing:
Just wondered opening day for racing my local track is april 17th. I ll hopefully have my little bike done and see if I cant crack in the 10's with it before infusion of the big motor. ( drag racing ). Ok, I'll bite, what bike you runnin?

arrowheadracing
04-07-2005, 13:39
The little motor is a 750 the bigger motor is an 1127 and yet the biggest motor is a 1216 cc. I have an GSXR. The stock 750 motor ran low 11's with a bad clutch at the end of the season. With a new clutch and rear tire, and maybe a little more guts to let the front fly it should run 10.80s-90's or so.

The big truck will go more rounds as I can be more consistent with it. The bike I have bugs to work out.

The 1216 motor was run in another bike from a customer. He ran 9.20's on the motor and 8.70s on the bottle.

The 1127 motor should probably run 10-10.20's.

My goal is a complete stock looking bike , no long swing arms, no fat tire ect... and be able to run in the 9's with it , and still get 40 mpg on the street.
The first picture is older and the wheels are polished and the rest of the bike is polished as well. With a few minor differences in mirrors and windscreen.

[ 04-08-2005, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]

DA BIG ONE
04-08-2005, 02:14
Real nice bike!

I have the HD V-Rod 05 and I have not done the track as of yet, however, one lightweight rider has broke into the high 9's by tweeking ecm with HD race tuner & using an air shifter programed to shift via ecm. I love this tranny just need the clutch for when you stop, otherwise shift up or down w/o clutch.

I am considering a turbo for it.

Most common motor is a 1030cc Porche designed motor built by HD. Aftermarket has brought this motor up to 1550cc, while HD has stayed at 1250cc w/full warrantee on screaming eagle package.

I like the ride, but leaning into right turns means exhaust hitting, I hope to have custom exhaust built to give more clearance in turns, and will fit a new fork along w/changing rake for better handling of winding roads, your bike will surely excell in this area. Harleys new Road Rod has fixed most of these issues.

arrowheadracing
04-08-2005, 02:35
Thanks again for the kind words. Though I am not a fan of Harleys, when the vrod came out I was thoroughly impressed with its styling. Definitely not your typical bike. I havent ridden one yet, but I ll have to throw a leg over one this summer.

Good luck with your Rod ( Vrod that is LOL )

Dvldog 8793
04-08-2005, 05:20
Howdy
Very nice bike. I like the polished look on the 6.5. When I redid mine I went with a painted Detroit green engine bay. It really looks different and not many people recognize the green for what it is. I would have liked to do the polished look but there is no good place cloes by to do the work and I am just not patient enough! :D Normally when I start polishing I end up saying "this part would look much better bead blasted!" tongue.gif
I think Bill Heath did ALLOT of drag racing with his Diesels. I've never ran my truck but Brainerd Dragstrip is close by and it would be interesting to say the least. The ones that I have run:
GTO = 14.2 @ 98mph(stck mtr/tires,never ran w/455)
Vette = 15.00 @90mph
1979 CBX(wish I never sold this one) 11.3 @ dont remember and a "friend w/ more experience" on the throttle. Mostly what I did on this bike was smoke the skinny tire into rubber dust, sure was fun and impreesive looking! I remember pulling up groups of other bikers and watching them count the pipes and then come over and say "That thing is 6 cylinder aint it" The down side was 6 carbs ment about 24-28MPG, almost get better with my truck! :D
L8r
Conley

arrowheadracing
04-08-2005, 05:41
Thank you. I know what you mean. When I start a new project that I havent done before, I get the same feeling. Do I really want to spend this much time polishing it ? But I finish it and then say , boy it didnt take too long ( 3 days of blowing black snot out your nose ). I used to specifically build race and restoration pontiacs. I ve owned 30 + Trans Ams , be it show or strip racers. I just love pontiac torque power. I guess thats why I love my diesel power as well.