PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Street Rod-----------

INNER COOLER
08-29-2007, 17:03
Greetings
Im new to this form, but not new to diesels. Im thinking about purchasing a 1985 chevy 1/2 ton with a 6.2 n/a 2wd auto w/ 114k, completly stock. Its loaded for a 85, and as clean as they come. My intention is to build, lets call it a "STREET ROD" truck. The modifications I would be doing would be:
-crank girdle
-timing gears
-turbo
-ram air
-bigger exaust
-18" or 20" wheels
-disk rear brakes
-water injection
-propane injection(?)

Ive spent hours reading the post on here and have found the info. very useful. But have I have few questions that I need to ask before I pull the trigger. Spending 8-10K on a old truck,or just buy a d-max.

Its the same old question, what turbo do I use? Im not looking to build a monster, just someting that will get me from A to B with good acceleration and good fuel milage.

As i see it there is basicly 2 options.

OPT#1- Purchase a Banks sidewinder kit- Thats easy! But I was quoted $2800.00 today. OUCH! Other ppl sell the kit new for under $2000.00. Are they the same or are they just a junk copy-cat?

OPT#2- Buy all the parts from a 6.5. and fit it in. Sound easy right? or will I be running to get parts, gasket, hoses, having to fab this or that to make it all fit? I have the ability, but as they say, time is $ . Ive got asses to all the parts for $500-$600. plus a possible turbo rebuild. But Im told I have to lose my a/c because its in the way. Did I read a post that addressed this problem with a "stock part" solution? I have asked before, but didnt get a answer. Is there anyone (besides Banks) that makes a pre-made exhaust for my truck or should I just go to my local mufler shop?

If I do this I will post pics and ask advice on every step.
Thank you all for your input. and sorry for the length.

wade-ve7trw
08-29-2007, 20:27
1--watch ebay and other auction sites for parts
2--put the word out as to what you want and i am sure someone here will have it
3--buy a whole donner truck for what you want
4--search archives for past posts on the subject of turbos and air conditions i am sure it has been covered. try looking for post involving using air conditioning parts from a blazer
5--another turbo company ATS use to make a turbo for the 6.2l
6--welcome to the world of fabrication-lots of enjoyable time can be had making something fit (ps-leave big hammers alone fingers get in way):D