PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump and rocker arm nylon part numbers

neo
08-29-2007, 06:42
Hi all, sorry to do this, but I have searched hi and low and can't seem to find the p/n's for the following parts for my ~ 86 6.2 Military Take-out HMMWV engine build:
1. Military (if there is such a thing) oil pump - standard volume
2. Nylon rocker arm plug things that hold everything in place (pressed steel not cast)
3. double roller timing chain - I had thought about going with the phaser, but after the machine shop bill (lightening, blueprinting (I think I am using the term correctly) and ballance job, along with head work, custom 4130 girdle, etc,) I simply don't have the cash for the phaser drive. I have read stuff about the Pete Jackson gear driev, but no one seems to have expereince with it, and I do't really want to guinea-pig this engine.
Also, if anyone can reccomend a source for these parts, that too woudl be great!

THanks!

Neo (soon to post pic's)

john8662
08-29-2007, 08:53
For the parts you're looking for you'll be able to easily locate the numbers at your local parts store, but I can tell you the brands to try.

For the oil pump, the stock 6.2L pump is just fine and is the same pump used in early 6.5TD's as well.

Get a Melling Oil pump, I'm pretty sure they were the supplier for GM.

I think the p/c for the Melling Pump is M55HS (off memory).

For the Timing Chain, get a three piece set with crank gear, cam gear and the double-roller chain. Cloyes makes this setup and is great quality.

You can locate this at many parts houses. I know for sure O'Reilly Auto has them.

Retainers, Hopefully someone has the p/n off hand for those. There are aftermarket offerings for these as well, but I feel that the OEM supplier did a better job on these, so the dealer is likely the best source for these items.

And Finally,

Interested in a Pete Jackson gear drive? You won't be a guinea pig for trying one, because that's the manufacture that supplies DSG with their setup. It's even stamped "P J" on the cam gear.

I'd still recommend finding some more $ in the budget for one of these jewels. Kennedy Diesel has a better price than DSG advertises on their site, might make the difference.

J

WeaselWerks
08-29-2007, 17:43
SEALED POWER Part # MR1948 for the rocker arm retainers (late style stamped)

neo
08-29-2007, 18:55
Man, you guys are AWESOME! I love this page and all that I have learned here. I am sooooo stoked on this project. It is a long story, and I hope to get to write it up with photos and share it with everyone. Thanks sooo much for all the help.
John - I ended up buying the Pete Jackson kit. I will install and let everyone know how it goes. The short block should be back from the machine shop tomorrow. Gotta tin-smith the pan a bit to get her to fit over the girdle. Gonna paint her Chevy red! Can't wait.
Weasle - thanks for the p/n's. gonna order it tomorrow along with the Penisular v-belt high flow pump. I did that to the burb along with the Mr. Gasket t-stat and dropped aroudn 15 degrees. She (the burb) runs nice and cool now.
Thanks again all!