PDA

View Full Version : Extended Glow Time

LanduytG
12-13-2004, 13:29
I have been doing a search and can not seem to find the post I am looking for.

Some had put a capacitor in-line with the wire from the ECU to the glow plug controller and it yielded another 10 sec or something like that. Anyway I am trying to figure out what value he used. Also it should have a diode in line to protect the ECU.

Has anyone seen this?

Greg

rjschoolcraft
12-13-2004, 14:15
It's in last year's reprint volume.

joed
12-13-2004, 14:46
Thanks to the suggestions of others here, another option to have independent control from the ECM is to wire another glow plug relay with a push button switch. I got a heavy duty relay from Napa (it's actually called a glow plug relay) to feed the usually cold (passenger) side of the relay when switched on.

With the colder weather, I push the button for a few seconds and then turn the key on for its normal cycle. So far it seems to work pretty good and the ECM is none the wiser to the separate controller.

Joe.

LanduytG
12-13-2004, 14:50
You do not even have to put a relay in to control the glow controller. All that you have to do is cut the wire that comes from the ECU to the glow plug relay. Install a diode and a push button.

Greg

LanduytG
12-14-2004, 01:47
Last years reprint meaning 2003?

Greg

rjschoolcraft
12-14-2004, 04:56
Yes, 2003. The title is, "Improving Cold Starts for Electronic 6.5L Diesels" and was written by Todd Smith. It's on page 69.

ToddMeister
12-15-2004, 04:45
In that article I discuss adding a relay to open the Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) sensor, thus simulating a -40 degree temp for max glow time. I power the relay from the Oil Pressure Switch/fuel pump circuit to restore normal ECT sensor reading after starting the truck. Leaving the ECT sensor open will cause fast idle and advanced timing.

I observe about 10-11 seconds of glow time when cold <30 degF with this mod. On warmer mornings >40F the max glow time is about 8 seconds. I think the PCM may also have a temp sensor on its circuit board that may slightly change the glow times based on its ambient temp.

LanduytG
12-15-2004, 06:50
The thread I saw here not that long ago, they added a capacitor in series with the line going from the ECU to the glow plug relay. I just don't remember what the value was and what direction it went in the line. I think it was 2200mf but I just don't remember.

Greg