PDA

View Full Version : Rear dif leaking

j080808
08-24-2007, 18:23
Per my previous post about the paint flaking off my rear dif cover I took a closer look at the rear end and found a small amount of fluid leaking from where the tube meets the dif. Made an appointment and took it to the dealer Thursday for the leak. The service writer calls me later in the day and says they see the leak and are going to "grind down the heads" and seal it with epoxy and it will be ready Friday (today). Service writer calls today and I pick it up, its raining so I just head back to the office in it. When I arrive at the office I check the area that was repaired and.......its leaking! I then refer to my receipt and couldnt believe what I read, they used JB Weld to repair the leak. Now dont get me wrong, JB Weld is a fine product used in the right application, but never in my almost 7 years that I worked at my brothers service station did we ever use JB Weld on anything unless it was an emergency repair or unusual situation. Disappointed? Yes. I assumed their "epoxy" was going to involve something more professional than mixing 2 tubes of epoxy, degreasing the area and then applying it to the exterior of the axle tube. The thought never crossed my mind, much less how they thought they could properly prep the surfaces for a good seal since fluid was seeping out.

I am in major city, it was a huge dealership and I didnt give them any time frame to return the truck to me. Any techs see this as a common practice?

Thanks much

DmaxMaverick
08-24-2007, 20:29
JB weld on an axle tube.....on a new truck?????

Hogwash!!! If the axle tube is leaking, it needs to be replaced. They can be welded (arc welded, not JB weld), but never an option on a NEW truck. I have no doubt it is still leaking. If it doesn't now, it will later. I can guarantee that!

DarylB
08-25-2007, 13:15
I would complain till they replace the rear-end. They'll be doing it anyway if all the fluid leaks out and you lock it up

j080808
08-26-2007, 19:17
Thanks much.

I dropped it back off at the dealer tonight and left the service writer a voicemail for tomorrow morning.

Cant wait for my Bilstiens from JK to arrive, hopefully my truck will be buttoned up by this weekend so I can install them along with my Hellwig swaybar.

chevrolet1
08-26-2007, 20:31
my rear axle was found to be a bad casting,so rather than take a chance on it leaking later,because of a epoxy repair,and it was warrantied,they replaced the entire housing,plus paid for rental vehicle.jimmie johnson chevrolet.try to impess on them that any thing else may be short term repair.beleive it or not i suggested the epoxy repair to expedite return of my truck ,because i need it for work,and they poo-pooed the idea because of potential failure down the road,and if they epoxied it and it evetually failed..... hope you get it the way it should be. chevrolet1.

RCF
08-27-2007, 09:54
I also had this leak. Dealer replaced axle housing. Stated that there seems to be a bad batch of casting as mine was the second one that they have replaced. All under warranty. Stick by your guns and GET U DONE.......

j080808
08-30-2007, 19:30
Finally got it back today, new housing as they swapped everything over. It would have been nice if they either replaced the dif cover with new, or at least wire brushed the flaking paint/rust and hit it with a can of Krylon, instead they just slapped the old cover back on it, so thats on my list this weekend with the sway bar and shocks.

Thanks to all.