PDA

View Full Version : Bosch relay failure ?

eracers999
12-12-2004, 18:35
2 month's back i aquired a 65 gal tank, looked at it for a while to engineer in my mind how i wanted to mount and plumb my new aux fuel tank.

Started by cutting ahole in the tank to accept a plate with a 3/8 pipe fitting welded, from there line to a stock GM fuel filter, from there to a in the tank type fuel pump from a GM car with a new sock. Run the wires up top thru to a barrier strip. (filtered fuel before the truck).

Put a switch in the truck with a lite so i could tell when it was on and wired it all up using the 40 amp oval GM relay very similar to the standard bosch relay, real proud, looks good, works great, fuel on the run. Poly fuel line from the top of the tank to the side pipe on the filler.

Been using for a month or so no problem.

Till last nite.

My daughter comes in and says dad, you better come down here quick there is somthing smells like fuel coming out of your truck.

I flew out of that chair, skidded my ass down the stairs, flew outside to find fuel gushing out of the filler cap of my truck, went inside the truck, the switch was off but the indicator lite was on and the pump was running, open the hood pull the connector out of the relay, it quits.

Earlier in the day i spent 100.00 on fuel cause it just went down to 1.75 .

I was boiling po'ed, rechecked all wiring, Found possible mistake, i left 86 or F ungrounded on the relay. Made that correction and replaced the relay, all's well. I fused the circut at 10 amps and now the valve will be shut until i need fuel.

You can feel bad for me, i do.

Kent