PDA

View Full Version : '88 P30 step Van with 6.2 No Nothin'

Pu241
08-21-2007, 15:09
Hello all!
Been a lurker for a long time didn't think I knew enough to comment, but learned a lot here.

Now I have an issue!
And hope you all can help!

Driving in to work this morning the truck is running fine!
Then with out warning, total engine shut down!
Get it to the side of the road and find I have headlights, parking lights, instrument cluster lights, and interior ceiling lights. But nothing else! Turn the key to start no glow plug light no solenoid click, no starter noise, no blower fan, no wipers, no turn signals, nothing!
So as not to waste your time with an issue previous solved I did search and found this:

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=7234&highlight=6.2+start

Which is similar to my issue so I will start there.
I have manuals at home (Haynes and GM) so will look at them when I get there.

But I'm interested in any other suggestions as to what might be worth checking!

Thanks for your time and assistance!

John

Mark Krieger
08-21-2007, 21:25
I've got your same identical truck and thankfully no suprises like that so far.

The symptoms sound like the ignition switch is off. I know my ignition switch is well worn and I'll bet yours is too. I'd look in to that theory and see if you can hotwire around the switch to get it running.

NH2112
08-25-2007, 20:43
Check the following:

1) Battery cable to starter.

2) Fusible link on wire going from starter to junction block on firewall (not sure if it's here on P-trucks.)

3) Wire going from junction block to ignition switch.

I'd look at the ignition switch last, they generally don't just up & die like that. More often you end up having to jiggle the key to get it to do anything.