PDA

View Full Version : What year is my engine?

Lil'red
08-20-2007, 16:15
I know my IP # is 2829 4153 because I just changed it...I think my engine might be an '83...What are other ways to tell the year and find whether its the heavy or light duty other than IP #, thanks for any replies, Liam

moondoggie
08-21-2007, 09:47
Good Day!

An early 83 would be red, which would be the high-nickel block; late 83-on are black.

Sorry, can't answer about the HO / std engine question.

Blessings!

DmaxMaverick
08-21-2007, 12:16
Look for the casting date code on the rear area of the block. A very good description, location and legend can be found in the members area (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm) of TDP and buried in the forums (try a search).

Your VIN will tell you if the original engine is HD or non HD. If the 8th digit is a J, it is HD. C is LD. If you have EGR, it is LD. If not, it is either HD, or the EGR has been removed/disabled. If the heads are not original, or have been reworked, the injector precups may or may not be HD, regardless of anything else (many machine shops don't know there is a difference). If the engine was replaced and the original accessories (manifolds, intake, etc.) were used, it should generally reflect the OEM power level. The 2500 came in both flavors, depending on state of delivery and GVWR. The IP model is completely irrelevent to your question. It depends on the fuel volume calibration, which can be changed at any time on all of them. It isn't likely your IP is original and calibrated to original specs. Only a Stanadyne test bench can do that, and once it's been adjusted off the bench, all bets are off. The only way to tell which ballpark you are in w/o a bench test/calibration is to watch for smoke and EGTs under certain conditions, which can be effected by other elements, so it isn't a reliable method.

Lil'red
08-21-2007, 18:18
Thanks for all the info, I try to find the info on the block...