PDA

View Full Version : Transmission noise ??

rjginca
08-19-2007, 22:19
I have had my truck into several dealerships trying to diagnose a strange noise. Sometimes, not always (this always makes it hard to diagnose) at cold engine startup and drive-away my truck sounds and feels like the transmission spools up and won't shift down. Almost like the torque converter is spooling. It is a very audible sound. It may also happen when towing at highway speeds up grades or when the outside temp is say 85+. Had a dealer say it was my fan clutch. I didn't think that was right but had him change it anyway. NO fix.

I've had the transmission fully serviced at 24,000 & 66,000.

What could this be?

JohnC
08-20-2007, 15:29
If I had to guess, I'd say it is the fan clutch. (Actually, the fan making the noise). Te fan clutch engages when the air coming off the radiator gets hot enough. It also "accidentally" engages sometimes after the truck has been sitting for a while.

sb359
08-31-2007, 00:05
Same thing happens to mine.Once in a while after starting.

letsgo
08-31-2007, 07:54
My symtoms, in the middle of winter start cold truck up and drive, the engine fan comes on for about 1 or 2 minuites, the odd time in summer start up and drive, fan will come on. Sometimes when towing in the hills or mountains fan will come on for about 1 minuite, when the fan has been running there has never been any indication of high temperatures also the fan has an extreamly loud wind noise.

THE FAN
good luck
drive safe