PDA

View Full Version : How to remove glovebox door/PCM?

izak
12-12-2004, 16:10
I've got an L65 PCM on the way. Looked at the glovebox door and cant see how it comes off. Looks like you might slip off at the hinges but dont want to break anything. Are there any precautions to take when removing/installing the PCM?

JoeyD
12-12-2004, 16:53
Disconect the battery's. The glove box comes out easy. Push the clip off then open it and snap the sides out. It should take only 10 minutes to do as it's easy.

izak
12-12-2004, 21:19
I can see on one side where there's a tab that keeps the door from falling falling forward. I push that in and the door doesnt travel very much further before it starts binding. Do you just pull up on it at this point to unsnap it from the hinges on the bottom? Sure makes you feel stupid when you can do all sorts of mechanical stuff except remove glove box door..

JoeyD
12-13-2004, 06:30
You need to disco the little cable 1st. Then it drops open further then snap the sides out and fold it down till it comes off.

MTTwister
12-13-2004, 10:43
IZAK - on my '96, there are rubber bumbers on each side of the Glove box unit. Push both sides in to the middle and ease the unit out. then it lifts of the 'hinge" as it's just a groove over a bar.

Turbine Doc
12-15-2004, 18:05
IZAK my 98 cover comes off as MTT describes, once you push in tabs lower cover lower tyhan normal opened position then hinges/joint lifts off of the lack of better word "hinge pins"

charliepeterson
12-15-2004, 19:46
Once the glove box is off then reach in with your hand and grab the very back of the ECM and give a good tug straight out.The first two ECM connections can come off before the ECM comes out any further. After this the ECM comes out almost all the way, then the last connection comes off. Don't worry about which one goes where because all the connectors are different and go on one way only.

izak
12-15-2004, 21:28
I'll try looking for that tab on the left side a little harder come daylight.

I got my '99 3500 ECM in the mail today. I tried to find the closest match in hardware (6.5, Auto, 4x4). Do I need to worry about having the wrong IP timing after I plug it in or will I get by using what was programmed for the donor truck? I've got the passkey relearn sequence instructions printed out. Anything else I'm missing? I can always just put the old one back in and be on the road, right?

Turbine Doc
12-16-2004, 07:15
You should do the time set & TDC learn, plus your biggest hurdle will be theft deterrent learn, depending on your skill with this might be one of those time worth a trip to dare I say it, Dealer, they can program the replacement PCM to your trucks VIN. What caused you to change PCM in 1st place is stock one bad, they are usually pretty robust? Now if you are doing L56 to 65 upgrade get with Jim to put us together and we can talk that 1 on 1.

Do you have any idea other than 6.5 4x4 what the donor was, you can loose some functionality if mixing and matching trucks PCM earlier vs later years, might best this 1st go round to let dealer do VIN change, program updates per your VIN, timing as when you go in for diagnostic later tech will get confused as your PCMs VIN won't match the trucks VIN.

Plus this is a far stretch, but GM could void extended IP warranty saying problem isn't with IP it's PCM programming error VINs don't match, stranger things have caused them to look for an out to IP warranty.

[ 12-16-2004, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: tbogemirep ]

charliepeterson
12-16-2004, 19:18
One issue which is coming up in my home town is on Emissions testing. The testing computer is looking for the VIN in the ECM to match the window sticker for OBD II trucks. I'm not sure if anyone else is testing this way. I'll try to find out how this could effect trucks around my way.

izak
12-18-2004, 08:47
Aha! I found the little cable Joey D's mentioned holding the left side on. Now I just gotta get up enough nerve to do the swap..

izak
12-20-2004, 23:55
Got up the nerve and plugged her in. Started right up after the theft relearn. Thanks for all the tips, it sure made me less nervous. Took a little low speed cruise around the neighborhood and noticed some differences in shifting but that's about it so far. Still have a/c and 4wd. I think I'll drive her to work tomorrow and see what happens on the highway. I still need to scrounge up someone with a tech 2 to set/check the timing. Sure hope the engine doesnt fly apart, but it seems fine so far.