PDA

View Full Version : I want a turbo heheheeee

Mikeandwendy74
08-14-2007, 18:11
Hi I want a turbo to slap on my 88 or newer(supposedly newer engine) but I need to know what my options are. I know all about the banks kit, but dont have a couple grand to buy it. I've read that some folks have used different turbos on a 6.2 with good results. As far as install, I have no problem getting right into it, but i'm not exactly sure of all the bolt on parts I would have to round up to make it happen.
I'm wondering how much difference I would notice pulling my 33 ft camper, it weighs 7,000 lbs dry, after loading the bed of my dually with a half cord of wood, bikes, 4 adults, 80 gallons of water, food and all the other goods plus a 400lb generator, I figure I'm towing between 9-10,000 lbs plus moving what the truck weighs.
I've gone through this motor from top to bottom including a total rebuild of the turbo 400 behind it and I tell ya this little motor can be a workhorse. The only time I have any trouble whatsoever is on steep inclines when I'm at a low RPM in 3rd gear. I'm hoping a turbo would help a little.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

84 Convert
08-15-2007, 00:05
I just finished installing a turbo on mine. I used the stock parts from a '93. You need:
Turbo
Manifolds (at least the pass. exhaust, having the stock intake is nice if you are using the Gm turbo)
Oil feed and return lines
Air filter box or alternative (I used something like the BHAF "big honkin' air filter" the Cummins guys use)
crossover pipe and downpipe

Yours being an '88 will make it easier to find stock stuff that works than it was with my'84. The downpipe on mine is a real piece of work!! The more stock stuff you can find the easier it is to do. Cummins turbos are relatively inexpensive due to upgrades that those guys do but you need an intercooler to run one of them.

Don't forget a 1/4 turn on the fuel screw inside the pump to get you started where Banks put theirs.

I'm really happy with mine. I run about 14K Gross daily and I do know when the trailer is on but not nearly as much as before.

Good luck and happy turboing

Gregg

Craig M
08-15-2007, 09:34
That is a lot of weight for a 6.2. Even with a turbo the hills will bog you down. As long as you can live with going slow on hills, and not being the first one to the top of the grade, the engine can take it. Watch you exshaust gas temp and water temp. I have pulled a few loads on a 3 axle car trailer with my dually with 6.2/banks and gear vendors. It got the job done, but no speed records. Your extra weight and frontal area will make for a challenge.

john8662
08-15-2007, 10:31
88 Extended cab will be the "newer" body style that was used from 88-2000.

This is nice because you can find a used 6.5TD turbo setup and install it on your engine, cheaply!

J

Mikeandwendy74
08-15-2007, 16:25
sweet guys thanks for the tips just what I was looking for as far as what you installed. I might scope some junkyards for some goodies, but you're saying I can use a turbo from a cummins? as long as I can score the intercooler.....hmmm I'll keep that in mind.

84 Convert
08-15-2007, 23:21
yes, but the I/C is fully custom. check out the 6.5 forum to see what others have done with your body style when building an intercooler setup. downpipe and intake will also be different than GM. If you do go intercooled I would definitely check out the marine upper intake from Peninsular. Last I checked it was around $50 and allows you to feed the engine from the driver side without odd turning of the stock upper.

Oh,yeah be sure to include boost and pyro guages.

Happy boosting!

Gregg

Robyn
08-16-2007, 09:05
The little 6.2 can work its heart out for you but low end lugging is not going to be good even with the turbo. It will help some but you need to keep the engine in the sweet spot for the best performance.
Lugging will produce high EGT as the fuel is there but the engien is not able to spin up and really use it.

A nice turbo setup will greatly improve things and you should expect similar performance to a 6.5

Robyn

daustin
08-17-2007, 10:06
The '92-93 6.5's had the mechanical IP like the 6.2, and the mechanical waste-gate actuator as well. I think that setup would be the easiest to install on the 6.2. Get both exhaust manifolds, crossover, turbo/actuator, air cleaner assembly and downpipe. Should be nearly a bolt-in with that. You'll have to turn up the IP for the turbo to be effective. I see a lot of that stuff on ebay from time to time. Good luck
Don

More Power
08-17-2007, 16:16
I'm wondering how much difference I would notice pulling my 33 ft camper......

Turbo'ing a NA 6.2 adds approximately 30-40% more power.

In general, after installing a turbocharger and tuning the fuel injection pump, you'll have approximately the same power (hill pulling ability) in 3rd gear that you had in 2nd gear without the turbo - generally. :)

Jim

Mikeandwendy74
08-18-2007, 22:46
Sweet thats just what I'm looking for the gears in my truck shoot from 2nd to 3rd under load around 40 mph... thats my weak spot, hitting a hill between 40-55mph, anything higher that 55 and it can keep the speed sometimes even accelerate. I just made my own cold air intake for it maybe that will help for now, the motor seems to breathe ALOT better. Anyone else with a cold air intake notice a difference?