PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Turbo Boost on 6.5 TD

69ra3ta
08-12-2007, 18:31
I am sure with all of the vast knowledge out there on this forum, there is someone that has safely increased the boost on their 6.5 TD.

I am one that would like to but I don't really want to experiment for fear of grenading my motor.

I have a 1994 GMC 6.5 TD Suburban with 200K on the clock that I ordered new in 1993. I have added a Banks kit a while back and a few other various things.

I am getting about 7 psi boost on average and about 9-10 psi max upon hard acceleration if my gauge is correct.

How much boost can these motors safely handle? And how and what do I need to do to obtain this boost level.

Thanks,

john8662
08-13-2007, 00:59
The results you're seeing are correct, 9-10 psi at WOT.

You can crank it up to around 12, beyond that a charge-air-cooler is required.

Two ways to accomplish this.

Turbomaster + Boost fooler to keep from getting codes

Properly setup Boost Fooler with factory programming.

J

Robyn
08-13-2007, 08:31
I am assuming the "Banks Kit" is the exhaust system "Stinger"

Best thing you can do if you are going to use a Turbo Master is to use Bill Heaths chip too. The Chip eliminates the need for the "fooler"
Also the chip will boost tranny pressures where needed along the power curve.

I would keep the cruising boost (60mph) to no more than 5 psi and the max boost under hard pull to no more than 10-12

Dont let the EGT get over 950 with the Banks Kit as they have the probe in the down pipe and not pre turbo

With 200K on the clock you are probably close to seeing head gasket failure on one of the end cylinders (2-7 are most common)
I hate to be the harbinger of bad news but this is about the magical numbers in miles where this can happen with "STOCK" gaskets.

If you pick the time to do a head job on the little creature instead of it picking it for you things will be a lot better off.

Being out around Needles in the summer and losing a head gasket would be the pits.

The bottom end of the engine should be fine for a lot more miles.
Now if you start huffing the little critter a lot more than stock the gasket issue can become an issue a lot quicker.

If you decide to do the head thing as a PM you may wish to take a good look at things and possibly replace the heads.
With 200K I can say with certainty that the valves are starting to sink into the heads and you may have some cracks starting too.

This is not a nasty job and can be done over a weekend with minimal bother.

Just some food for thought.

Good luck and enjoy the Burb

Robyn :)

69ra3ta
08-13-2007, 21:31
Thanks John and Robyn. I will do some research using the info you both provided. I will report on my findings.

Thanks again!