PDA

View Full Version : 6.2L + BANKS + CDR - Airbox = Dew?

Wagoneer
08-11-2007, 19:42
Hi, Need some help here. I'm sick of looking at a crushed Mountain Dew bottle under my hood with a hose stuck in it for the purpose of supposedly catching oil from the CDR (or as Banks calls it for 88' and newer models of the 6.2L - "anti-depression valve")

The PO rigged this "hose in the pop bottle" because he wanted to get rid of the Banks air box and go with a large paper cone filter - which I would like to retain as well. I think the Banks Turbo instructions tell you to attach the CDR hose to the Banks air filter housing so that blow-by-gasses and oil can be returned to the intake manifold, via the air box.

The way my motor sits today, I end up with oil all over the passenger side fender well and the pop bottle is .... well ... a little too crude.

Anyone else have this problem and come up with a fix?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/Raptorcize/62L/P8110013b.jpg

john8662
08-11-2007, 21:06
A couple things can be engineered here.

My solution for a similar setup was to take a piece of 3" exhaust tubing about 6" long. In the middle of the tube, take a plasma (or oxy-acetelene) torch and cut a 1" hole in the tube.

Next get a nipple from an OLD CDR vale (like the one you have on your valve cover) and take a chop saw and cut off one of the nipples from it.

Next, weld on your nipple to the new piece of exhaust tubing so that it's air tight.

Then, clean the insides of that new contraption out really well, a wirebrush or purple scotch bright works wonders and make sure there isn't any flaking on the inside of your new pipe and then you're ready to install.

Remove your air cleaner, then slide your new pipe into the bend going into the turbo, then the other end your air filter. Connect that piece of 1" tubing to the nipple on your new adapter, then whoolah!

I did this, but was using 4" for another turbolader.

J

ccatlett1984
08-11-2007, 22:22
KISS ,

just put a 1" hose barb in the rubber elbow.

NH2112
08-12-2007, 03:17
I did what John did - used a piece of exhaust pipe to connect the filter to the turbo (you should have seen how the previous owner had it rigged!) Green Loctite (bearing mount) was used to ensure the pipe never loosened on the turbo, and I welded a small nipple to the pipe for the CDR hose.

Robyn
08-12-2007, 08:44
I think the soda bottle sorts look kewl stuffed in there myself :rolleyes:

Any way that you can do it so you get a low level vacuum on the outflow side of the CDR will do fine.

What John has mentioned is perfect.

Good luck :D Still like the little green bottle though :D

Robyn

Wagoneer
08-12-2007, 13:03
Thanks for your help everyone. I'll post a pic of the final result after I tackle project "Remove Dew". Right now I'm in the process of replacing my SAGGING & stained headliner...Now I know why they call it a "headliner":) The recover is turning our really nice though.