PDA

View Full Version : IP front plunger and Baffle in top of timing cover.

Rob4
08-11-2007, 19:14
I have taken off the timing chain cover on my 1989 6.2 truck and have a couple of questions. First, all the repair manuals that I have refer to a top baffle that is located at the top of the timing cover housing. it is located over the top of the upper timing chain sprocket. There is not one in this engine. I bought the truck used in 1992 and it has ran fine without this baffle. Maybe it left the factory without it or was repaired for some reason and left out. Is this baffle on all 6.2's? What is it used for and is it something I had better find at a salvage and put back in the engine?
Secondly, I noticed a small rod that comes from the front of the injection pump. It appears to be spring loaded and has a metal button on the end of the rod that pushes against the front timing chain cover. What is the purpose of this rod? You can see that there is a fair amount of wear on the tab on the cover where the rod button has has been rubbing as it spins. I just can't see what it is used for. Thanks again guys for your help.

john8662
08-11-2007, 20:13
Your '89 model likely has the later setup for Crankcase Ventilation. The CDR valve (tuna can looking thing) is likely on the passenger's side valve cover and connects directly to the intake manifold.

If so, you don't need the baffle.

The Baffle is for engines that were used from 82-87 that had the CDR vent hose connected to the oil filler tube.

Next, the spring for the injection pump is sort of a dampner is my guess, the symptoms you're seeing are very common and normal. My guess is this spring helps the drive shaft on the injection pump "float" which is necessary for this pump design.

J

Robyn
08-11-2007, 20:25
The spring and rod are to preload the IP shaft in one direction so the slight bit of slop does not allow the helical cut timing gears to float back and forth and mess with the timing.

Some have it and I have seen some without it. :confused:

Rob4
08-12-2007, 17:31
Thanks guys. I feel a lot better knowing what is going on inside the timing gear housing. Thanks again for the info.:)