PDA

View Full Version : '94 6.5TD Hard starting...but otherwise no problems

Middlemancrisis
08-10-2007, 21:47
Hey guys, I've read through alot of forums before reaching the decision to start a new thread. But anyhow, I have '94 6.5TD. To preface, the engine has only 1,500 miles since it was fully rebuilt using penninsular pistons and marine injectors. No problems until last month it would start and then die, so I bought a rebuilt PMD and that solved that issue.

The truck hasn't ever just *click* fired right up, it would fire on a few cylinders slowly, + increasingly for a second then get up to full idle. Now I go to start it after the glow plug light goes off, (glow plugs lights come on as normal, no check engine light) and it starts but slowly. It turns over fast like it should, but it fires here and there for a second or two then slowly reels up to full idle in about a second.

The thing that strikes me as something for sure being wrong aside from the aforementioned, is that it's really loud dieseling when it first starts up. The truck doesn't "hiccup" like others mention regarding failed lift pumps and it runs fine all the time except for the above. My guess was that its the lift pump becoming increasingly weak, but others talk about the oil sending unit. I know the oil sending unit wasn't replaced while I've owned it (the truck has 139,000 miles now) and the lift pump looks like the original (I'm guessing).

So what's the verdict, because I've already started looking for the best deal on a lift pump.

KallyI
08-11-2007, 02:18
First, welcome to The Diesel Page! What you describe sounds like a glow plug issue. My truck was doing what you describe, and even though the glow plugs had few miles on them, 6 out 0f 8 were not working. I replaced them with ACDelco 60G glow plugs, and have had no problem since. The plugs that failed were Quick Heats, and I won't use them again.

tommac95
08-12-2007, 18:40
Both the 6.2 , and 6.5 litre-diesels have very good starting characteristics, so keep at it until it starts pretty smooth , pretty soon.

The OPS energizes the LP after engine starts/runs; if no LP when cranking , it would start poorly. If bad fuel , starting will be bad. Worn FIP fails to start in warm weather.