PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade questions

HillBilly2
08-10-2007, 13:00
I've got a 90 classic style Surburban, My diesel guy just offered me a deal on all the takeoff stuff on a 95 6.5. So now I can upgrade to serpentine belt, get a turbo, get an ESS for a tach signal, pretty much everything I've been thinking about doing.

There are clearly going to be heater box interference issues. I remember someone saying it would work by switching out the heater box. Does anyone know what year & type box to look for? Any recommendations from someone that has done this?

I was planning on putting it in the shop Monday for a new pump and injectors, is there anything I need to change if I go turbo?

Crossover pipe...I do have dual shocks, what am I getting into here?

If I'm going to have everything off the front I will go ahead and replace the timing chain. I do not really want to spend $400 for gears, but would like to have the dependability. Is it worth it, and does anyone have a source at a more reasonable price?

Harmonic balancer, I need to replace mine anyway, the rubber is showing signs of creeping. I can get a new one, but what do I need to work with the serpentine belt, spacers ect.? And finally, is a fluid damper worth it?

I have almost 200k on this truck now. I do intend to keep it forever and am looking for a deal on another block to build for a spare engine. Maybe I should just go with a chain and new GM balancer on this one and add the good stuff to the new build.

Any other problems I should be aware of? Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

john8662
08-11-2007, 07:12
There are clearly going to be heater box interference issues. I remember someone saying it would work by switching out the heater box. Does anyone know what year & type box to look for? Any recommendations from someone that has done this?

GMCTD is the fella that pioneered that. A quick search here on the forum should find it. It's off an S10 IIRC.

I was planning on putting it in the shop Monday for a new pump and injectors, is there anything I need to change if I go turbo?

Go with Shortbody injectors if not already equipped, or just purchase 6.5TD injectors, this will get you the required line to manifold clearance on the turbo side.

Crossover pipe...I do have dual shocks, what am I getting into here?

You can't use the factory 6.5TD crossover pipe in this chassis, you're going to get to either cut the one you have and adapt it, or just have an exhaust shop make you one.

If I'm going to have everything off the front I will go ahead and replace the timing chain. I do not really want to spend $400 for gears, but would like to have the dependability. Is it worth it, and does anyone have a source at a more reasonable price?

Check out Kennedy Diesel, he usually has a good price on those units.

Harmonic balancer, I need to replace mine anyway, the rubber is showing signs of creeping. I can get a new one, but what do I need to work with the serpentine belt, spacers ect.? And finally, is a fluid damper worth it?

No spacers needed, the clearance will be exactly the same. So just put the balancer that belongs on your engine, the 6.2L. I'd seriously consider the Fluiddampner balancer, funds permitting.

I have almost 200k on this truck now. I do intend to keep it forever and am looking for a deal on another block to build for a spare engine. Maybe I should just go with a chain and new GM balancer on this one and add the good stuff to the new build.

Freshen up the chain and balancer and keep boost pressures very reasonable to get the most out of the engine.