PDA

View Full Version : looking at buying a 2005 Dmax

Gapper_ca
08-09-2007, 20:42
i am looking at buying a 2005 Dmax HD 2500 CC 4X4. it has 140000km on it and is stock. i would like to know as to what upgrades i should do. i will use it mainly as a daily driver but will pull a 7000lb TT. i will get a command start if i can. i see many have exhaust and chips. i have looked at the banks stinger system and the Ottomind 6 tuner with a palm . not sure what else... any help would be greatly appreceated.

letsgo
08-10-2007, 08:48
My truck has 138,000 km, so here are things you should look at,

were the injectors changed ?

get a 1/2 point of engine oil and have it analized (kenmore truck sales and service do it $20) this is the most critical test you can do.

time for the drive shaft universals to be changed (based on personal driving and towing I now feel they should be changed every 80,000 km (50,000mi)

shocks should have been changed.

front and rear rotors should be replaced, 50% contact will be rusted and pited ($59 us. at active auto usa)

great truck

drive safe

good luck

NutNbutGMC
08-10-2007, 17:57
Get a good deal on it. That's a lot of miles in 2 years.

Some will say that's nothing for a diesel burner, but my very own opinion is that none of these light duty trucks are tough as the often talked-about standards for comparison. I personally think from my three diesels that these light-duty trucks are just that. Not to belittle you or anyone else of their choices of trucks. I too am in that same boat.

Tough, heavy-duty, high miles, long lasting, bullet-proof attributes comes in the OTR big trucks.

Each to their own.

Good luck and get a good deal.

Gapper_ca
08-15-2007, 20:30
well pulled the plug and bought the truck, traded the 96 6.5ltd and van on it. down to one vehical again for some time. truck rides great, new brakes and rotors. needs some TLC but then what used truck doesn't.... next will be to upgrade exhuast, intake, chip etc....

Gapper_ca
09-12-2007, 17:16
just received the Banks kit today, exhaust and intake and ottomind tuner... hope to install soon, harvest dragging on now. got the truck bed coated with a Reflex coating, looks very sharp now, access tonneau cover from 96 fit perfectly, now need to get it in for the command start and all should be good for a bit... maybe a secondary fuel filter and a bypass oil filter system... cash will tell that tale.

NutNbutGMC
09-13-2007, 12:56
Congrats on the new ride.

Gapper_ca
09-20-2007, 20:55
Wow!!! love the Banks system!!! power is unbeliveable...can hardly wait to tow the camper.... Fuel milage is great , almost 23 mpg now....

DmaxMaverick
09-20-2007, 22:12
Wow!!! love the Banks system!!! power is unbeliveable...can hardly wait to tow the camper.... Fuel milage is great , almost 23 mpg now....

Are you calculating the mileage by hand? I hate to be a spoiler, but if you aren't, you are in for a disappointment. The DIC will lie to you with the Banks. Usually by quite a bit. 23 MPG is a pretty tall tale. Not impossible, but not very common.

[edit....just noticed you are in Canada]
Or....Are we talking about imperial gallons? If so, I take it back. Good job.