PDA

View Full Version : Can a crew cab LMM be had with a six speed manual

Ryan03
08-08-2007, 18:42
Hello all, I am the owner of a 03 lb7 reg cab 4x4 allison, kids are in the near future for wife and I, was wondering if anyone knew if a new LMM crew cab short bed 4x4 could be ordered with a six speed manual trans. I know that when I tried to order a 06 LBZ crew shortbed 4x4, I was told that I could not get a manual in the crewcab, only the reg cab, and only with the lly. This made me hold off, mostly because I didnt want to be a guinne pig for the new six speed allison. I am in the market for a truck again, and cannot seem to get a straight answer from my local dealers, any help would be appreciated

NutNbutGMC
08-08-2007, 19:53
Hello all, I am the owner of a 03 lb7 reg cab 4x4 allison, kids are in the near future for wife and I, was wondering if anyone knew if a new LMM crew cab short bed 4x4 could be ordered with a six speed manual trans. I know that when I tried to order a 06 LBZ crew shortbed 4x4, I was told that I could not get a manual in the crewcab, only the reg cab, and only with the lly. This made me hold off, mostly because I didnt want to be a guinne pig for the new six speed allison. I am in the market for a truck again, and cannot seem to get a straight answer from my local dealers, any help would be appreciated
May I suggest that you go to http://www.gmbuypower.com/ and build a truck? At some point, you'll be able to see if that option is available.

The 6-speed auto is the cat's meow.......It's basically the 5-speed with another OD. Makes for a smooth ride gettin' on up the road.

For my personal preferences, I'll never shift again... I'd rather wash dishes than change gears.

Mama can't throw her bare, tanned legs over the console with a stick in the way. ... :D

Duramaster
08-08-2007, 21:17
The manual transmission is no longer available thankfully!!! The LB7 kept braking the flywheel with it's wimpy 510 Lb. ft. of torque. What do you think the LMM would do? You also lost towing capacity with the manual transmission.

Dakster
08-09-2007, 11:00
May I suggest that you go to http://www.gmbuypower.com/ and build a truck? At some point, you'll be able to see if that option is available.

The 6-speed auto is the cat's meow.......It's basically the 5-speed with another OD. Makes for a smooth ride gettin' on up the road.

For my personal preferences, I'll never shift again... I'd rather wash dishes than change gears.

Mama can't throw her bare, tanned legs over the console with a stick in the way. ... :D

I don't know what you're talking about, even in the automatic when mine does that there is still a stick in the way....:D

I like sports cars stick shift, not trucks... Although nowadays the autos are so much better even automatic sports cars are nice. I keep heraing it is only a matter of time before stick shifts are a thing of the past. Like column shifting cars.

JohnC
08-09-2007, 14:00
I wouldn't be concerned about being a Guinea pig. The 6 speed Allison is just the 5 speed Allison with different software and maybe a different valve body. The mechanicals are all the same. (the 6th gear was in there all along, along with probably some others as well...)

I have the '06 LLY and am a true Guinea pig. I've got no regrets. It's the smoothest transmission I've ever had and hasn't missed a beat yet. The manual shift option is the balls here in the hills, too.

Ryan03
08-09-2007, 21:02
I agree, the 6 speed has proven to be a reliable trans so far, however I was speaking of when it first came out, and they had not proven themselves yet. I am no stranger to Allison transmissions, I have rebuilt more than my fair share of the old MT400s, and most of my winters are spent chasing electrical gremlins on the Allison MD3060 world trans in our fleet of International plow trucks, Allison , at least in big trucks in the rust belt snow removal field, has a reputation for building a nearly bulletproof transmission with a problematic wiring harness, the electronic components also seem to hold up well, but the harnesses suck. The only reason that most Highway dept. plow trucks have the Allisons is that it makes the trucks more idiot proof, you dont have careless or incompetent drivers spitting out drivelines, breaking drive axles, burning up clutch brakes , snapping motor mount bolts etc. It is more cost effective to have a team of techs diagnosing wiring issues than it is to have them changing clutches and replacing broken output shafts Please understand, I am not saying that any GM duramax allison combo sucks, or that the people that drive them are idiots, [I have a DMAX Allison} only that I have seen Allison build some less than reliable producs in my part of the country. I personaly would like to grab my own gears, although not enough to switch to a Ford or Dodge, looks like Ill be keeping that old LB7 for a few more years hoping for a manual trans option down the road.