PDA

View Full Version : How much do you like your 6.5

Robyn
08-05-2007, 22:02
Now we have had more moaning about this or that than we need for a while.

This thread is all about the good things we have to say about our 6.5 powered rigs.

No trouble issues allowed.. :D:D

I absolutely love my 95 Dahooooley. Of all the trucks I have owned in the last 10 years this little sweety is just so nice to drive and just has a feeling like an old pair of shoes that ya just cant part with.

The 94 Burb is much the same way. Great family rig and always handy to go haul stuff or just cruise off for the weekend.

Great mileage for a large vehicle. Sucker goes great in the snow too with no issues.
All in all if I could buy some brand new ones right now I would do it in a heartbeat (94-95)

Lets here some more stories of your favorite 6.5 powered truck or Burb

Best to all :D

Robyn

twaddle
08-06-2007, 01:08
We've found our GMC 6.5 Suburban to be one of the most versatile vehicles ever owned.
Great for carrying people plus luggage, hauling trailers, it's spacious. My wife likes the high seating for a good view compared to our old Volvo 940.

A couple of years ago we were up in the Scottish Highlands for a break, on the way back home we were laughing at the other 4x4 having to strap their mountain bikes to the outside or roof. We had everything in the back including the bikes with the rearmost seats folded and moved forward.

Last weekend I needed a trailer load of gravel from a local quarry, as usual I asked the machine operator to load the 16ft bed trailer right up. Ended up with 7 tons of gravel on that trailer (+ trailer which weighs 1 ton)and the 6.5 pulled it back home with no problems. The Heath PCM probably helped a little, hee hee!!
Had to take it easy so I didn't blow the trailer tires though.

I regularly put all the rear seats down, slide in a 8x4 sheet of plywood and use it as a service vehicle for my work as a self employed Caterpillar mechanic.

Cruising at motorway (highway) speeds of 70+mph is a breeze. To add to this the fuel consumption is pretty damn good for a BIG 3 ton 4x4.

We will be moving to Alberta as soon as the house sells and the 6.5 Sub will be going with us too.

Best wishes to all us 6.5 fans

Jim
Biggar, Scotland,
soon to be Alberta, Canada
PS. the Sub is looking forward to getting back over to North America and onto the correct side of the road.

Robyn
08-06-2007, 08:04
We own an operate a local gun shop and we also do trade shows from time to time. Not all that long ago we booked a show in Las Vegas.
This is about 1450 miles one way for us. The Burb was a sweetheart all the way and pulled down about 19 MPG avg for the trip. Lots of mountains to go over both coming and going.

I sort of keep an unofficial mental note of how many diesel Burbs there are in the community here.
Not hard to spot either with the Two Nostrils in the bumper.
very popular with the Horsie people here as well as many large families.

Good safe transportation me thinks.

Sort of odd that Ford dropped the Excursion.
Seems to me that they should have been as good as a Burb.
I drove a friends a while back and it has the Powerstroke in it.
Drove as nice as our Burb.

Must have been a sales thing me thinks.

Its wonderful to post some positive things here.
Generally when I come on in the early AM to cruise the forums prior to heading out all I see is "My broken this or my failed that" and who should I blame.

Please folks add some more good news and stories of your fav rig.
Some pix of the units would be good too but lets not get crazy with tons of them per post.

My goal in starting this thread is to lighten the mood a little and possibly encourage more positive postings.
We are all here to help each other with problems and not for one minute do I believe that issues will just go away.
I for one am the first to jump on my soapbox and howl if I am unhappy.

Lets see if we can keep this thread running for a long time and who knows maybe a record or something

Best to all :D

Robyn

sturgeon-phish
08-06-2007, 08:14
I really enjoy my 96. It pulls my 5th well, and hauls loads great. I love the looks, even better than the 2000 to date body styles. All this and 20+ mpg when I keep my foot out of it. Just got new treads on back so snow handling should improve. All in all, if I needed to replace my truck, the only thing I would change is going to a crew cab, grand kids are getting bigger!
I am putting an addition onto the garage just for the truck. With only 90 K on it I plan on keeping it for a while.
Jim

moondoggie
08-06-2007, 10:26
Good Day!

82 pickup: 4SP manual w/ OD; utterly fantastic mpg; loved that truck (still own it, thinking of parting it out)

95 pickup: 4L80-E, 4.10 gears, added Gear Vendors Aux. OD; bought @ ~ 80K miles, now has almost ¼ million; a couple FSD/PMD's (now got it mounted right); neither engine or tranny ever opened up; runs like the day I bought it - perfectly.

95 Sub: 4L80-E, 3.42 gears; bought it @ ~ 180K miles, now has almost ¼ million; neither engine or tranny ever opened up; runs perfectly.

Blessings!

gmctd
08-06-2007, 11:51
Ha!!! Look at my sig..........the right side, please.............no, yer other right..............

JeffsTowTruck
08-08-2007, 05:26
Well in the 8 years she let me down only 1 time. That was the injection black box, guess it was not her fault.
So I have no real complaints, I do wish there was a little more power ,but I don't have a lot of $$ to spend on it so maybe that's my fault..
Great truck to have made it through a hurrican and sat under water for a week or so..

NH2112
08-08-2007, 15:57
My thoughts are that excluding electronics issues the 6.2l/6.5l, along with the 318, are the most reliable and durable light truck engines ever produced (the 5.9l Cummins, Navistar/IHC diesels from 6.9l & up, and IHC V8-304/V8-345/V8-392 were all medium truck engines first.)

JeffsTowTruck
08-08-2007, 16:52
Hey I did get new stripes this summer from Fleetwood!! I match!!http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/3396/2735994780069926656S425x425Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2735994780069926656RNxnmd)

JeepSJ
08-08-2007, 18:05
Love it. Without a doubt, the best engine swap I have ever done.

winemaker
08-08-2007, 18:46
I just turned 350,000 km last week on a 1000 km trip. Anyone else feel like they know the truck by feel? This truck feels like it's got a lot of life left. She fires right up, runs strong and smooth.
My buddy Grant, who was a member a couple years ago and told me of the value of TDP, had a 94 3500 dually extracab 5 spd when I had a Dodge cummins with no proper hitch. His truck had the Heath TurboMaster, MaxE Tork and 3.5" exhaust when I borrowed it to haul my 1979 27' Travel Trailer 500 kms up the Coquihalla. That sucker ran like a hotrod!
A couple years later I sold the low-mile Dodge in favour of my high-mile Chev and I couldn't be happier.
This is a truck that I could grow old with.....unless I can talk my wife into a crewcab down the road!
Brett

More Power
08-08-2007, 23:29
I like Robyn's idea for a thread like this. All too often, the problems people have overshadow the good stories we know are out there. I received the following email message today from a fellow 6.5 owner that I'd like to share. Jim

I was reading a few things on your page about your 6.5TD power project, and I read that you put 200,000 miles on it in seven years. I love my 6.5, it’s a 97 3500 dually, and in 10 years I have put 425,000 miles on mine. I've only replaced glow plugs, filters, one starter, batteries, fuel pump (not the injector pump) and the radiator (took a hit from a rock one day). It still runs like a champ and I'll run it until it hits the ground.

Sincerely,
Rob from NC

Rob might send a few photos. If he does, I'll post them... :)

KallyI
08-08-2007, 23:45
I wrote this about my truck last September, here in TDP:

I made a few changes to my truck this year, I completed the intercooler and gauge installation, put a 3" crossover pipe in, a 3" turbo downpipe, and Kennedy's boost controller.
Wow!!!, what a difference pulling a load. Places where the PCM pulled fuel, The engine temp went up, and Lord knows what my EGT was, plus I lost about 25-35 mph, (belching black smoke), I can now go up, and maintain my speed, or possibly lose 3-5 mph,, with no smoke. Some hills I can even gain speed if I want or need to. I've put about 4,000 miles on in this configuration, and I am very pleased. I haven't seen an EGT temperature over 1000

I still feel that way about it!

Robyn
08-09-2007, 07:56
Maybe we can make this thread STICKY (Hint Hint) :D

This thread so far is doing just what I thought it might.

So many happy people out there that own 6.5 powered rigs and drive the wheels off of them.

If GM offered them again as an option I'll bet there would be folks standing in line to get one. :D:D Me :D

Robyn

moondoggie
08-09-2007, 09:59
Good Day!

"If GM offered them again as an option I'll bet there would be folks standing in line to get one." In a Sub - yessir. Well, after someone else had put ~ 150K miles on it, so I could afford it. :o

Blessings!
(signature in previous post)

Turbine Doc
08-09-2007, 10:03
Love it so much bought a second 6.5 so now I have 2 C1500 Burb & K1500 truck

ercaduceus
08-09-2007, 22:37
Love it so much bought a second 6.5 so now I have 2 C1500 Burb & K1500 truck

I agree. I like my truck so much that I'm thinking about getting a short wheelbase SUV (Blazer/Yukon/Tahoe) with a 6.5 for my wife. If the 6.5 is such a horrible engine, why are there so many around?

Subzilla
08-10-2007, 06:21
Ya'll are sure being a bad influence on me in my time of making my decision (see thread: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=28704 ). Thanks Robyn!

Subzilla
08-10-2007, 06:22
Ya'll are sure being a bad influence on me in my time of making my unemotional, practical purchase decision (see thread: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=28704 ). Thanks Robyn!

Robyn
08-10-2007, 07:10
I am a bad influence on a lot of folks I am told :D:D:D:D:D

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA its fun being an influence :rolleyes:

Good to hear the positive things here.

chickenhunterbob
08-11-2007, 06:11
My old '94 just keeps going about it's business, just turned 312,000 km.

I keep track of every tank of fuel and compute the mileage of each tank, and then again compute an annual average once a year, in August.

This last year I drove 34,837.6 km, burned 4,598.64 litres of fuel, which computes to an average of 21.34 miles per imp gallon for all combined driving.

I'm quite pleased with that, as fuel mileage is the primary reason I drive a diesel pickup.

In the 4 years since I have been driving this rig I have averaged 21.12, 20.98, 21.05 and 21.34, so pretty consistent.

Also has been 100% reliable, I replaced the glow plugs and injectors last year, and today am going to change the belt tensioner, the old one is starting to hang up, but have not had any sort of breakdown.

robscarab
08-12-2007, 15:02
My interest in GMC/Chevy Diesels goes back to 1992 when I bought one for convenience reasons. I was building a contracting company (self propelled 400hp tree mulchers for land clearing without burning). The mulchers are powered by Cat Diesels and carrying Gas and Diesel tanks was inconveniant to say the least. The 6.2 did not have the power we needed to tow our mobile shops around and I am not a Ford guy. When the 6.5 TD arrived I was overjoyed and bought 12 over the next 5 years. Poor fuel quality in the far North forced me to switch to Dodge in the late 90's. (the Cummins FPs seemed to tolerate the crappy fuel a little better?) Since then I have always missed the refined ride and handling of our Chevy Diesels and although my main transportation is a Chrysler car, I have ALWAYS considered myself a GM guy.

Fast forward to 2007, I have sold my mulching business and decided to move my family to our summer place on Lake Ontario. I have an older 5th wheel trailer and nothing to tow it with since I sold the trucks with the business. I need a truck to haul it and my "toys" 2500 miles to our new home. I start looking at new Duramax crew cabs and walk away with a bad case of "sticker shock". I only plan on using the truck for heavy hauling purposes and my old reliable Suburban gas-pot can handle people moving when the car is not practical.

So I'm enjoying my new found time to surf the net and stumble across "The Diesel Page"... Talk about a great info source for my long lost friend, the 92-98 GM diesels!! I promply join and begin to research the issues I was having with my fleet back in 97. It turns out that with some simple mods gleaned from the page, I can build a powerful,quiet and reliable diesel engine for the best looking, most reliable chassis/drivetrain ever built!

I search the local listings and find a 93 CC dually diesel for 2500 bucks!! I get there and find that this rust free truck has been babied for it's entire life. It has an onboard compressor that powers the load levelers and an airride Frieghtliner passenger seat. Its interior still smells new and it comes with a 100 gal. polished aluminum aux fuel tank mounted in the box. Auminum mag wheels, running boards and some fibreglass dress-up pieces add to the full load of options it is equipped with! The police officer whom was selling it to me had just put a new GM sourced 4L80E trans and 1400.00 torque converter into it last Fall. The clock showed 348,000 kms and the engine had a broken crank. The owner had no time to fix it himself and just wanted enough to put a down payment on a new truck.

TDP has given me the confidence to buy this great rig and build a reliable engine for it to suit my needs. I have been working on it since May in my spare time and just finished bolting in a new TD with all the upgrades recommended by the members here on The Page! Tonite we hook up all the wires and lines and by this time tomorrow we should be out on our first test drive.

Thanks to the Diesel Page, I have saved over 40,000 CAD and enjoyed building a custom truck with my kids. We have lots of great memories and at least 100 photos of us working together on our "Family Funmobile" as we call it. Although this old truck and us don't have much history togther yet, I anticipate keeping it for many years and I'm sure it will appear in the background of 100's more vacation photos!

How much do I like my 6.5?.... Enough that I have spent every weekend this summer in the shop with my laptop and her...er....it!

Rob, Hayden, Michael, Colby:)

Robyn
08-12-2007, 18:06
Good to hear

Robyn

soulman67
08-13-2007, 11:01
I love the 6.2/6.5 engines. My truck was bought used in 2000 by my Dad for or business of building game and ranch fences in south Texas. It had 83k and I fell in love with it, I like it better than my 67 c10. I finaly talked my dad out of it 2 years ago drove for 3 months and the hamonic balancer broke off the crank. I wasn't able to afford to fix it til now and I am hoping to get the motor back in this weekend. I have had a lot of good times in Ol' Blue and I am taking it out hog hunting next month to start some new tales and good memories. The truck has 220k and there isn't any sign of wear at all in the engine.

If the gov't trusts the lives of our troops with them, thats good enough for me. Cause thats a 6.5 in that Humvee, not a cummins.

rustyk
08-13-2007, 21:20
Well, in some ways I shouldn't post here, mainly because the very early 6.5L TD in my motorhome scored four cylinders and got replaced by an AMG/Peninsula engine uprated. But the new engine has (since 12/06) 11K trouble-free miles on it, and fuel economy has increased by about 15%. So I'm happy with my new semi-rat, as I was happy with the OEM 6.5L TD until it blew a head gasket and I got into its innards. While it's not a Cat 3126/3176, it's a very capable engine, and I have no gripes with either the old engine or (certainly) the new.

dieseldummy
08-13-2007, 22:18
I like my 6.5 so much that I went out and bought a Dmax... :eek: Seriously though, I must like my '93 somewhat because I keep it around. As most know I won't recomend a 6.5 to anyone looking to tow or hotrod, but if your looking for a daily driver they are great.

Every so often I slip a cog and take to driving my '93 for a week or so at a time. Usually when there is a truck pull nearby... Heck, it even tied a juiced up Dmax last week!

It really is hard for some of us that have bitten so many times by these motors to keep coming back for more. At times we are bitter and feel that there is nothing good to say, but after a while we forgive and forget...

It's kindof like having a night out on the town. The next morning you feel awful and swear you'll never do it again, but in a couple of weeks all is forgotten and there we go again...

Robyn
08-14-2007, 07:19
Sort of like the family cat.
The little sucker comes over and scratches you and gets kicked then 5 minutes later its back in your lap sound asleep.

OH yeah
The number of these little diesels that have lived in my stable just keeps growing.
Been thinking about stuffing a 6.5 in a 4 door Tahoe just for giggles.
Maybe do a DB2 pump and a TH 400 just for the sake of simplicity.
Just can never be without a project.

Never seem to get enough of the good times.. :)

Happiest when I got a wrench in my hand :D

Robyn

6.5 Detroit Diesel
08-18-2007, 18:40
Hmm, whats to say about the diesel. I love the lo/4lo option that this truck has. I have been able to put it in this range and start and pull 6,000+ lbs using only the clutch and get out and walk beside the truck.
Pulling a semi truck loaded with sand out of the ditch.
Having never owned a diesel before, this truck has been a definite deciding factor for me to drive diesels. The only major thing that this truck has done was crack a return line. Normal wear. Everything else has been due to my heavy foot.
Turning 36x12.5" military tires, this truck still has no troubles spinning the tires off the line. It looks good with the air scoops, bed rack, big tires, running lights and 6" exhaust tips. It also sounds like a semi when you drop it into second at 35Mph.
At 332,000 kms, (207,000 miles) she is still going strong without a rebuild.
I love my MFI 6.5 TD

6.5 Detroit Diesel
08-18-2007, 18:44
to say that I just replaced my thermostat as my milage was sucking. I did a trip that was just under 1,000 kms on less than a tank averaging out to 20-21 mps while pushing those 36's with 4.10's at 55-60 Mph.

Kev-o
08-18-2007, 20:40
I had a clean 87 fullsize blazer that was black with burgandy int. fuel inj. 5.0 and when it started smoking i bought a wrecked 86 silverado with a 6.2 and switched it all over on my holiday's. drove the truck for about 3 yrs. and sold it for a 98 ext. cab 3/4 ton, sold the 98 and bought a 93 long box 3/4 ton 4X4 and love it, but now in the market for a 6.5 burb.

rustyk
08-19-2007, 20:43
Well, on another forum (that for Barth motorhome owners - Barths are very upscale motorhomes built like Prevosts or Newells, only shorter; they're significantly heavier than plastic pigs of the same size), we've been comparing performance of Barths in the size range of mine (28' through 32', diesel pushers only). Most have Cummins 160, 190, 215, or (one with a 230) 5.9L. My humble Super-Rat (AMG 6.5L TD) apparently sucks the doors off the C-powered Barths, even the 230HP, but he's lugging 2K lbs more than I, and he's had a series of issues with the accessories.

Frankly, that surprised me; although the Cummins owners can put their feet into theirs all the way up the mountain, even watching EGT on mine (and I usually don't exceed 1050F), I can climb faster and easier.

Tough Guy
08-30-2007, 22:05
I put a couple 100 thouand miles on the one I had....It was a good truck.

JTodd
08-31-2007, 05:14
My Sub is basically bone stock. The FSD is remote, and it runs straight exhaust - no cat or muffler. For work I put about 1200 highway miles a week on it. With 3.73's I am able to get as high as 19.5 mpg. Other than some wear items, no real issues. What amazes me still is that with all the miles, it will fire right up, unplugged, at -20* (some places just don't have an outlet). And, because it is a sub, I can load the whole family (five of us plus a dog) in, with our camping gear and head out for the weekend. It is a good truck.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
08-31-2007, 21:02
Okay so I just had to put this on here. And I know I might get flamed for abusing trucks like this but to bad. It was too much fun.

My buddy and I just had a pulloff not to long ago. Actual bumper roped to bumper.

The two trucks.

Mine: 1993 GMC HD2500 4X4 with 4.10's and a NV4500. Five inch exhaust and Military 36x12.5" Wranglers.

His: 1982 GMC Heavy 2500 4X4 with 3.73's and SM465. Dual 2.5 exhaust and 33" BFG All terrains. Also a pile of junk in his box for weight. (700-800 lbs)

Now he has been commenting for a while that the newer trucks were being built lighter duty, so I finally said enough was enough and accepted the offer. We had the pulloff in a field.

Out came the 18,000 lb tow rope and it was attached to our bumpers.

The first pull went my way. I put it in four lo and ran through four gears. Gave me some trouble but his motor died after he hit a 6,000 RPM shift.

So we hooked back up again and went at it. This time I left it in four lo/lo and dropped the clutch and didn't touch the peddle.

The truck just started to crawl forward. I look behind me and he is sending white and black smoke out his exhaust pipes like a semi under load and going from side to side. I tapped the throttle and suddenly shot forward.

His truck didn't do to well. His bumper was twisted and pulled out, front driver hub exploded, and his rad was leaking everywhere. My damage? On of my marker lights in mu bumper had a wire pulled off when I ran over a big weed.

:D

I love my diesel. I did decline the offer to pull against his 82' 6.2 Dually crewcab on the road however. Maybe after my dually conversion if I want to really wreck the truck, not!

cdub
10-04-2007, 18:36
My 94 K3500 Ext.Cab Dually has been the best truck I have ever owned. It quit on me once while towing my trailer from OR to MT. Injector pump. I can't hold that against it because lots of other brands of trucks and motors have left thier owners on the side of the road also. Mine has towed my trailer maybe 70,000 miles. It has taken me to some very remote areas to hunt, fish, and work. It rides better than any other brand of 1 ton. I think it looks better body wise than the other trucks out there. One time a friends place was threatened by a forest fire. I loaded up a 600 gallon tank, a 150' hose reel of 1" hose, and a 175psi gas powered water pump in the bed of the old dually. I filled up the tank, drove 17 miles, and sprayed down his house and all his outbuildings. I have almost 200,000 miles on it now, I will replace the motor when it is needed and will continue to drive and enjoy it.

quickv6
10-04-2007, 22:06
My truck is 1994 K2500HD silverado I am second owner my grandfather was the first owner. I have 467,000 miles on this truck (wonder when they are giving prize for the miles contest) and the engine has never been touched. Thats correct no glow plugs or injectors. This truck will start I dont care how cold it is. I have driven 300,000 of those miles. I have replaced 2 injection pumps probably both needing PMDs but have around 200,000 on last pump with stock location PMD. I love this truck. It has never left me on the side of the road. Even with crap i had going on last week I still drove it home. It drives great,tows great and cost next to nothing to own. I was getting about 18-20mpg on the average now shes a little tired and gets closer to 15-16. Cant wait to get the new engine in the truck. Still better MPG than my 90 454 or my newer 496 I had.

bowtiedude
10-05-2007, 19:45
Well I talk to mine and buy it gifts.:D Does that count for something?

85camper
12-09-2007, 12:33
We owned our 85 K10 for over 11 years. I just can't leave a good truck alone, but it's fun adding goodies to her. Way too many options to list but the new 411 gears and SS rear disks make driving her much better. Plan to keep her till the doors fall off.

Mark Rinker
12-26-2007, 15:05
I owned two 1994s - both had nearly 100K miles when I bought them, they were municipal plow/flatbed trucks from KCMO.

Both gave me some good towing miles and many hours of snowplowing. However, the amount of repair and wrenching to keep them in service was out of range.

Both eventually broke crankshafts. One got a new engine and was sold 40K miles later, the other was sold as-is with the bad engine. There wasn't a good GM alternative at the time of purchase - even used Duramax's at that time were too new and too expensive.

Honestly, knowing what I know now, I'd have been better off sticking to the 5.7L gas, and then move on to the Duramaxes.

joe bleaux
12-26-2007, 16:03
What a damning post. Regardless, I like honesty.

Mark, how many miles did these trucks have and what did you find so constant when it came to maintaining them?

I am in the learning mode on mine. Got it used at 210k and drove it home and immediately tore it down to do the waterpump, balancer and pulley, thermostats, pmd relocation, oil cooler hoses and timing chain and gears.

Not even having used the thing, I am already thinking Duramax.

Joe

I owned two 1994s - both had nearly 100K miles when I bought them, they were municipal plow/flatbed trucks from KCMO.

Both gave me some good towing miles and many hours of snowplowing. However, the amount of repair and wrenching to keep them in service was out of range.

Both eventually broke crankshafts. One got a new engine and was sold 40K miles later, the other was sold as-is with the bad engine. There wasn't a good GM alternative at the time of purchase - even used Duramax's at that time were too new and too expensive.

Honestly, knowing what I know now, I'd have been better off sticking to the 5.7L gas, and then move on to the Duramaxes.

Mark Rinker
12-26-2007, 16:39
Both trucks were around 6K purchases, and I knew they had led 'hard lives' in municipal plowing duty. I got ~180K miles out of the pair. However, I put at least as much back into both trucks over the ~3 years I owned them, in the form of 'non-wearable' repairs like an engine, transmission, and parts/mods listed in more detail below.

Once I found TheDieselPage.com, ALL of the answers were here. As a result, not much money was wasted at dealerships, mostly I had my local shop do the work I couldn't, with information gained here.

Both trucks developed stalling problems at least once, and got externally mounted PMDs and coolers. Both got cooling upgrades in the form of JK's fan clutch and HO water pumps, and one got a dual thermostat setup with the replacement '98 engine. Both got lift pumps and one needed fuel lines replaced due to pinhole leaks.

One had a waterpump literally explode at highway speed, taking out the fan and radiator with it. Alternators and starters didn't last very long - they got abused with LOTS of cold crank sessions. (My 2002 DMax has its stock alternator and starter at 245K, in comparison.)

Both were hard starters in cold weather, even after new glowplugs, glowplug relays, two sets of batteries, cables and connectors. They spent too much time on the other end of jumper cables, portable generators, and HAD to be plugged in below 20F to start at all.

My winter snowplow crew grew very frustrated with this - although they were patient because they knew the investment I had made in the trucks. After the first Duramax showed up, it was hard to get any of them to run the 6.5s!

One got a new transmission, maybe the fault of a reckless snowplow operator - who knows for sure. The rest of the brakes, u-joints, tires, etc etc were all normal wear parts. To their credit, neither needed new injectors, injector pumps or turbos in the time I owned them.

I actually still have a fond spot for the trucks because they taught me so much about diesels and introduced me to this community, but there is no way to rationalize them as cost effective for my business.

The Duramaxes have made up for it, however. They are nearly bulletproof and just keep taking the use and giving back good mileage and maintenance.

Robyn
12-26-2007, 18:19
Mark
You are just too hard on your toys :D (Sits giggling wildly)

I can understand when you look at it from a business standpoint that the numbers have got to crunch.

I have in the past bought 2 new rigs with 6.5's and this was before this wonderful PAGE came to be.

Any more I snoop out stuff that I can buy cheap that needs loving and coax it home.

In all fairness the 6.5 trucks have given a lot of folks a lot of good miles with minimal bother.

I can certainly understand where Mark is coming from though. The DmaX trucks have had their issues but nothing like the 6.5 trucks did during their teething years.

Mark
Hope this is a good season for you with Zero brakedowns on the equipment.

Robyn

joe bleaux
12-26-2007, 21:56
Thanks for that info, Mark.

Joe.

panchosteam
06-26-2008, 21:41
Hi, i had this engine swap on my truck because of the 6.2 went out, any way trips from here (long beach ca.) to mexico, about 1700 miles and back to cali. and about 3 or 4 times to converse tx, and one to las vegas on january for the convension, plus the one here now days about three wks ago ( note that the trips are from and back to mexico including las vegas) i've put about 30k on this engine and still running strong and i'm happy with it. I'm happy with my 6.5 td only thing it gets hot in cabin.

dieselrealtor
08-26-2008, 18:47
I have owned a LOT of vehicles through the years, lots of Toyotas, Mitsubishis, 1 or 2 Nissans, several GM trucks, Olds & Pontiacs & 1 cj5.

I feel comfortable just changing the oil & then letting my wife & kids take it to see family in Oklahoma, about a 2000 mile round trip for everywhere she goes. I have done very little as far as "repairs", mostly has been regular maintenance, now over the course of about 60,000 miles

I like LOTS of METAL when it comes to my family, I can't imagine them being in a sub compact & being t-boned.

It gets around 16 in town & as much as 21-22 on the highway. Hopefully will go up with a few more mods.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat, actually I would like to find a clean 98 or 99 with no rust to be the replacement for this one.

76m880
08-26-2008, 18:56
i love my 6.5

trbankii
08-27-2008, 05:02
My 6.5 is my first full-size truck and although I love the truck, I have to admit to some frustrations. The random mix of metric and standard fasteners is probably the biggest. And for being such a large vehicle, it is surprising to me how difficult some things are to get to to service them - it is packed tighter than any other vehicle I've owned!

Mark Rinker
08-27-2008, 06:07
(Can I join in the love-in, even though I don't have any 6.5s left?) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

My favorite thing about the 6.5L was the adjustability (fuel rates, boost, exhaust) and what it taught me about diesel power.

I will never forget the first drive, after the exhaust, chip, and Turbo-Master were all installed at the same time.

Wow. :eek: I was hooked on diesel modifications from that day forward...

JoeX87000031
10-31-2008, 22:32
Just wanted to say that even though we are having a heck of a time getting to the bottom of our rough running issues, we sure love our 1994 6.5 Turbo Diesel. We have just finished going through the interior washing and scotchgaurding all the seats, headliner, and trim. Brand new carpet looks great! Even with it running rough, She started up after turning over maybe 3 times after sitting outside for a week at 12 degrees F!

gwaidman
11-06-2008, 21:42
Loved my 94 dually. Its been to hell and back, stolen, crashed, you name it, its happened. Sold it to my brother a few years back when he needed a big truck more than me. Well, he still has that old mochine and its looking and running great. I may just get the old girl back one of these days. Cheaper than a new one!

DickWells
11-07-2008, 17:48
Well, I'm late getting in on this thread. Been away from the DP all summer.
Still have, and still love the old 95 Burb. Drove it all summer, back home in New England. Love the Dura Max, but can't wait to get back into the Suburban each summer.
Over 185 K on it now. Still starts with just a bump of the key. That's because of the mechanical injection, of course.
It'll probably always be right up there at the top of the all-time best that I've owned. Dunno. The 73 Saab Sonnet keeps me on the fence with that decision.
In all those miles, the list of parts replaced is very short, if you discount the change to mechanical injection, of course. New front disks and pads, one rear wheel bearing, three sets of tires, new AC/heater controls, set of Greg's HD cooler lines, one H4 bulb, one set of injectors, two front-end allignments, and several other incidentals. Just think of all the original stuff still on this thing! Fourteen years old right about now, and still no rust! Only been in the Vermont snow a couple of times.
Yup. Gotta love the 6.5.
Bless you all, and glad to be back.
Dick Wells:)

DieselDavey
03-29-2009, 14:49
Hello All,

Well, Dick was the last to post on this thread back in November 2008!

Thought I would just add that I've been in love with Suburbans since my Dad first had a gasser when I was in High School.

That reminds me. To the Mom's and Dad's out there: If you have a teenage Son or Daughter, Don't lend them the Suburban for date night! :)

I've always wanted my own Suburban since those old days.

I was looking forward to camping season last year. But gas prices were going through the roof! My 06' F150 5.4 only got 5 MPH pulling the camper. Gas was going close to $5.00 a gallon... Thats $1.00 a mile in fuel cost!

I was also tired of the pick up truck configuration... Musical equipment, groceries, people, dog, were all a pain to load into a pickup cab.

I remebered Dads Suburban. That is the type of vehicle I needed to suit my needs.

I started researching tow vehicles with Diesel Engines (because of better mileage and power over gassers). I was really leaning toward the Excursion, when I discovered the Suburbans came with a Diesel Engine!

Then I found this site. I immediately subscribed.

After hours of reading, and a few questions, I was confident enough to buy my clean '99 (166,000 when I bought it) for 6500.00. It sure beats 11,000- 14,500 for a compairable Excursion!

Yeah, I've had to break my knuckles on the thing a few times, but I knew that going in. But doing research here before I bought the Burb, I knew the main problems, and that the truck is overall very reliable!

I do get frustrated just trying to grease the Damn thing! :)

But for the price and utiliy of this vehicle, it can't be beat!

It's also my wifes daily driver (makes me jealous that she gets to drive it more than me).

Runs great, good mileage, dependable, always starts without plugging in, even during Michigans wonderfull winter temperatures.

Most of all, I don't worry about my wife while she is driving this economical, reliable and SAFE vehicle.

I've never loved a vehicle before. I do love this Suburban!

Can't wait to do the mods!

When I get this one done (mods done), I'm gettin me another one!

Maybe its like kids... a bit easier after you've learned from the first one!

jimbucks
06-25-2009, 19:19
Simply put, I bought "The Beast" almost 10 years ago to the date with 16,000 miles on it and it's getting ready to turn an actual 200,000 miles soon. The ONLY thing that would tear it out of my hands is either some super riduculous offer or a new Duramax Suburban if and when GM decides to realy release it, and then I'd have to think twice before 'Down Sizing' to the new body style (that is if GM CEO Barrack doesn't put the stops to it).

tank140
08-13-2009, 07:03
HI all

Now i have the beast running like it should its great!! :cool:

I have a landrover 142 defender with a new GMC 6.5 turbo fitted in it :eek:
she is great for playing and towing, she has not done many miles since the engine went in i.e. 2k mile :o.

the next project on her is to fit a Toyota landcrusier VX gearbox :rolleyes:,
as the landrover one is a old 4 speed with overdrive and it is getting a bit shot at, to many rattles from it and the toyota one will take the HP and torque from the engine better than the rover one

Here are two recent photos one of the engine /turbo instalation :D

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/tank110/Photo074.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/tank110/Copyofdefender140HT2.jpg

Robyn
08-13-2009, 07:37
I will give an updated installment to my opinion.

I guess my opinion does carry some weight around here on these issues :D

I bought my first GM diesel back in the 80's. It was an Olds Cutlass calais with the little 260 diesel. (1979)

It was a lovely little rig. Got 27 MPG on the Hwy and 22 around town.

Had to work on the thing a lot to keep it going but it cost me very little to buy.

The next rig was an 82 Blazer/Jimmy 4x4 with the 6.2
Ran the wheels off that little beast. Loved it a bunch.

The next rig we got was a 1986 6.2 Burb 2500
Put a Bazzilion miles on the thing. Never had much issue either.

Bought a 1993 GMC pickup 2500 4x4 Ext cab with the 6.5 (New)
Had good luck with that rig, traded it off in 94 for a Dually crewcab 4x4 and this truck had the first of the infamous electronic injection systems.

Truck was nice but the problems with the electronics took some of the fun out of it.

Bought a 95 Burb new in August of 95 was on order for 7 months.

Lovely rig, same issues with the electronics though.
Traded that truck off in 97 for a 95 Burb with a 454 (gas still affordable)

Tried a Ford Powerstroke in 97 SOLD that lemon in 2000 and bought an 86 GMC crewcab 4x4 with a 454.

Loved that beast, hated the mileage.

2004 in the spring saw the 95 Gas Burbs demise due to a broken tie rod and resultant crash.

Then came a return to the diesel Burbs. Bought the 94 that we currently have followed by another that was almost identical. (Had two the same color)

I must be insane for buying all these rigs (and this is only a few that we have owned) Many gassers and other toys)

June of 2007 saw the old 86 crewcab off to a new home and the current DaHooooley come into the family.

Currently 2 6.5 rigs here.

I guess my overall opinion is this. The 6.5 is a good engine but it needs to be in the hands of someone who understands the little beasts and is willing to get their hands dirty from time to time

Certainly not for the individual who knows nothing about what goes on under the hood.

I would if I could buy a brand new 1995 6.5 Burb in a heartbeat if they were available.

With todays technology and the aftermarket to fix the issues they are a great piece of equipment.

Now with the availability of the new engines from AMG/GEP they are most certainly top notch.

Gotta love the 6.5 diesel

Best

Robyn

bvelectric
12-03-2009, 08:52
I will give an updated installment to my opinion.

I guess my opinion does carry some weight around here on these issues :D

I bought my first GM diesel back in the 80's. It was an Olds Cutlass calais with the little 260 diesel. (1979)

It was a lovely little rig. Got 27 MPG on the Hwy and 22 around town.

Had to work on the thing a lot to keep it going but it cost me very little to buy.

The next rig was an 82 Blazer/Jimmy 4x4 with the 6.2
Ran the wheels off that little beast. Loved it a bunch.

The next rig we got was a 1986 6.2 Burb 2500
Put a Bazzilion miles on the thing. Never had much issue either.

Bought a 1993 GMC pickup 2500 4x4 Ext cab with the 6.5 (New)
Had good luck with that rig, traded it off in 94 for a Dually crewcab 4x4 and this truck had the first of the infamous electronic injection systems.

Truck was nice but the problems with the electronics took some of the fun out of it.

Bought a 95 Burb new in August of 95 was on order for 7 months.

Lovely rig, same issues with the electronics though.
Traded that truck off in 97 for a 95 Burb with a 454 (gas still affordable)

Tried a Ford Powerstroke in 97 SOLD that lemon in 2000 and bought an 86 GMC crewcab 4x4 with a 454.

Loved that beast, hated the mileage.

2004 in the spring saw the 95 Gas Burbs demise due to a broken tie rod and resultant crash.

Then came a return to the diesel Burbs. Bought the 94 that we currently have followed by another that was almost identical. (Had two the same color)

I must be insane for buying all these rigs (and this is only a few that we have owned) Many gassers and other toys)

June of 2007 saw the old 86 crewcab off to a new home and the current DaHooooley come into the family.

Currently 2 6.5 rigs here.

I guess my overall opinion is this. The 6.5 is a good engine but it needs to be in the hands of someone who understands the little beasts and is willing to get their hands dirty from time to time

Certainly not for the individual who knows nothing about what goes on under the hood.

I would if I could buy a brand new 1995 6.5 Burb in a heartbeat if they were available.

With todays technology and the aftermarket to fix the issues they are a great piece of equipment.

Now with the availability of the new engines from AMG/GEP they are most certainly top notch.

Gotta love the 6.5 diesel

Best

Robyn
Roybn- Please tell me what amg/gep is. I need a 6.5 asap. Please reply or richacton@gmail.com or 719-207-1750 - anything would help, newbie(bvelectric) Thanks

trbankii
12-03-2009, 20:07
AMG - http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/AMGsnew65.htm

Robyn
12-04-2009, 08:03
AM General (Manufactures the HMMWV for the military) AMG
General engine products GEP

The new optimiser 6500 and the P400 are the latest incarnation of the 6.5 diesel.
Redesigned block, heads, crank. The P400 has a total lower end main cap girdle assembly plus the block casting is of a better material (so we are told)

The P400 is a lovely engine but Pricey $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

A good solid 929 or 599 casting 6.5 block that has little or no carcks and then has had the center main bolts inserted would be a great foundation.

Add to this a forged crank (peninsular diesel) and some new heads. ( I like the ones from Clearwater cyl head)

This would make a perfect build IMHO

Now if $$$$$$$$$ are no object then the P400 would be sweeeeeeeeeeet.

Missy

phantom309
12-31-2009, 09:18
6.5 diesels get into your blood then there's no getting away,.
i have a MGW wannabe dually with the same fancy wood interior, consoles, flares, cab extender thingy with a wing,. sunvisor. It's canadian camouflage in color, with red interior, it has 131,000mi and recently it developed a terminal type problem, 1 hole quit working and is pressurising the crankcase pumping oil everywhere, but it made it home nearly 500mi using 9 gals or oil,.and yesterday when it was F-F-F-F...ahem,.. Freezing cold -30c or so,. after two glows, it fired off as usual on its lumpy 7 cylinders,.went to my friends shop pulled intake and lines to see if mebbe it was something really easy like a skewed rocker arm,. but no ,. so i,ve a line on another engine,.and i'll be transferring all my stuff over to make the old girl go again,.
I still love the truck,. but i,m almost ashamed to say,. i,d love it more with a LB7 and an allison in it,..(and 3:21's) I like the style of the 92-2000 trucks more than the later models,

Nick

Truckie117
01-01-2010, 18:03
I fell in love with the 6.5 while in the service of the FDNY.
We use them as Battalion Chief Cars and utility trucks. But I really wanted one after 9/11. At ground zero they were left running day and night with out a hitch, all you could hear was that old familiar sound purring away in the silence of the aftermath.
Had to have my own.

rameye
02-03-2010, 17:35
I love my stupid suburban soo much that I am going to go ahead and dump a pile of cash into a truck that when finished would only sell for the amount of money I'm dumping in!!

I figure before the dust settles it will cost me 7K to do a motor swap...priced it many ways..

1) Buy a new AM Gen engine and just plop it in....7k

2) Haul my old block out, do it totally right (balanced, light weight pistons,rods, heads, cam, lifters etc and so on much machining.......6500 and I still have the old brittle block!

3) Buy another suburban on E-bay 7K and wait for the shoe to drop!

I was going to buy a new car for myself, but we all want the war wagon for going to our other hideaway. Its the only thing that hauls 3 dogs 2 adults 2 kids and all of our crap.

I'm a pathetic dope......

Sidenote:
Truckie I'm down the road on the Job in Stamford....friends with several of the FDNY brothers. Quite a few came from our department...after 911 we picked up a couple early retirements from the city...Welcome aboard bro!

forbey
08-11-2010, 11:33
Here's my 1995 GMC Suburban. We had her on display at the 9th Annual Illinois Renewable Energy and Sustainability Lifestyle Fair in Oregon, Illinois.

Currently with 271,000 miles (81,000 on vegetable oil) AND sporting a new set of SHOES! She's still looking good and hauling BUTT! :D

Not sure if anyone can give me particular specs on this truck, it is listed a a K1500, but it has 8-lug wheels (I believe a 3/4-ton suspension and a heavy duty towing package.)

The paint and clearcoat on the hood, front fenders and the front of the roof is beginning to peel off and the paint on the back side panels is dulling. But, the only rust on it is along the very botton of the rear doors. So the plan is to get her ready to replace the chipping and failing paintjob with a military style rhino lining (without the grit) face lift.

Here is a shot of the insulated 40-gallon vegetable oil tank.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i143/forbey/2010altfair3.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i143/forbey/2010altfair2.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i143/forbey/2010altfair1.jpg

Even though it's 97 degrees in the shade and the heat keeps pouring out of the vents... I still think this one's a powerhouse!

forbey

twaddle
08-14-2010, 07:57
Hi Forbie,
Your 1500 Suburban has 2500 suspension and brakes due to the heavier engine than the gas 1500 suburban. I think the chassis may be 2500 spec rather than 1500 but am not a 100% sure.
The only difference that I am aware of is the diff ratio is 3.42 to 1 and the towing capacity spec is lower than the 2500 spec vehicles. Despite this I have found that the 96 K1500 we have is more than capable at hauling way beyond the specified tow capacities if driven approprately . Especially since I installed a 4 inch exhaust system allowing the heat to escape and reduces the number of times the temperature gage red lines.

Our 96 K1500 was purchased in Houston Texas in 2001, shipped over to Scotland across the pond then shipped over to Alberta six years later when we moved to Canada in Jan 2008.
So I guess we kinda like our Sub too. Mileage is now nearing 220,000 miles.

That's a nice looking truck you have. How about an article on your veggie experiances?

Regards

Jim

More Power
08-24-2010, 10:00
We've discussed many times about the draw of forums for the problem trucks, but many times, the owners who don't have any significant problems rarely chime in with the good news stories. This produces a biased perception of the engine and the trucks they're in. Here's a good news I received today:

Thanks Jim, I’d like to ask u a question: background: I have a 1994 Chevy 6.5 td that has about 340,000 miles on the odometer, and have not done any of the upgrades you’ve written about. I have never had any problems with the truck. The turbo and injection pumps were changed about 2 years ago, but all is well, weird right??? I don’t have to drive 300 miles per day for work any more and I wanted to beef up the truck for more power... I don’t ever pull anything, I just like my diesel truck. Al Green

As bad as we think the DS4 might be, Al reports his truck required just one in 16 years and 340,000 miles...... Al went on to ask about performance upgrades.

Jim

MAS1866
08-24-2010, 23:39
I've got a 1995 K2500 E/C L/B 4by that I've had for four years now. Its pushing 250k but, I love the thing.:cool: Rides like and old buick, and is comfortable.
Trouble is, it's been left behind a little in the TLC department.
It is currently looking for new front steering components, new rear brakes, door pins, oil cooler, tail gate fixed, new boards, paint, and to top that all off, now it started to do this surging reving thing, especially on start up(pump?).
So....spend on this truck or find something else?

P.S. I may shortly be in need of a dually cab & chassis to mount a tow truck wrecker on. Anyone know if I would have to change the rear axle to accombodate the wheels do they fit on this axle?

Robyn
08-29-2010, 08:21
Just thought I would chime in again.

We are down to just one 6.5 truck at present and still love it.

My experience with these rigs has been wide spread over the years of 93 to present.

Have owned a 93 xtended cab, a 94 dually CC, (2) 94 Burbs a 95 Burb and currently a 95 Dually CC 4x4 (DaHooooley)

The 95 Burb was new when we got it and we had our share of issues back then (Mostly IP, PMD stuff) back before we learned the ins and outs.

Locally I have been involved with several folks and trucks over the years.

The 6.5 seems to be good for around the 200-250K mile point and then head gaskets fail.

This does not mean that some will not go farther, just that this point seems to be a benchmark if you will.

As Jim Mentioned, folks who dont have any issues never frequent FORUMS or Chat Boxes looking for answers.

The exception to this, is of course those of us who are already addicted to the boards :D and buy and sell rigs like many folks change shirts. :rolleyes:

Ran into a fellow the other day that has a 93 Std cab 2500 truck with near 500K on the thing and he told me that all he has done to the truck is just service it regularly.

Would be real treat to tear that engine down and see whats inside.

Myself, I believe that 200K ++ on any factory rig is really not a bad life span.

Its has not been that many years ago that 100K was considered by most to be the end of the road and a rig with that many miles would be really tough to sell.

The last several rigs I have purchased have had way past the 100K mark before I ever owned them.

Just some observations.

Missy

anp4god
09-23-2010, 05:53
Love my '99 Burb! I'm 37 and plan on keeping it 'till I die. Matt at Penninsular put a new Navistar engine in at 138,000 in 2007 as the original was leaking water into the oil from the minute I drove it off the used car lot. :confused: The new engine has been great! I have been wanting to upgrade stuff but money is tight. I am putting in a remote FSD with new grey Stanadyne PMD from Accurate Diesel today as the old one quit over the weekend. But that was on the top of the mod list anyway. Next will be 4" exhaust. Then probably a mechanical waste gate. At some point a performance computer. Also I want to add the flex tube for the OPS and fuel filter bleed/gauge tap from pmdcable.com and maybe a few more gauges. I have 180,000 on it now. No rust. Leather interior, heated seats etc. It would be nice to put in an aftermarket stereo with blue tooth and DVD, Nav etc. Maybe even a screen in back for the kids. I absolutely love getting into it every time! :D

My commuter is also special-a TDI Jetta!

If I could only find a biodiesel pump nearby. :p

Robyn
09-23-2010, 07:12
Really hard to beat the creature comforts of a late model Burb.

Glad things are all working out for ya.

Robyn

suburbanK-2500HD
10-23-2010, 15:02
I can confirm that it is possible, my truck now has 257000 km on the odometer, and the IP is replaced once.
Not shure when, but it was early in its life. (way before i got it.)
i have owned it for 5 years now, and i love it ....:)

We've discussed many times about the draw of forums for the problem trucks, but many times, the owners who don't have any significant problems rarely chime in with the good news stories. This produces a biased perception of the engine and the trucks they're in. Here's a good news I received today:

As bad as we think the DS4 might be, Al reports his truck required just one in 16 years and 340,000 miles...... Al went on to ask about performance upgrades.

Jim

sask3500
04-15-2011, 21:13
Looks like a good first post, love my truck. It's a 96 K3500 CC SRW. Traded a 99 K2500 gas suburban for it. Once you start looking there are as many 6.5 in SW Saskatchewan as the others. Plan on keeping it, even if it means a new motor some day. Needs a new paint job and bumpers and that silly sun visor shaved. Love working on it, paitently waiting for my service manual for it. Once it's in shape, time to tweak.....

And by the way, any known (or possible) application for a thermal imaging camera for these rigs? I ride a Kawasaki two stroke triple cylinder bike and it has helped with the carb tuning process. Maybe this should be a new post...

Justin

travis-citb
07-12-2011, 13:49
Over the years I have had the following with a 6.5 in it:

1996 k2500 extended cab long box.
1998 k1500 extended cab short box.
1995 "heavy half" suburban (basically same as 3/4 but 3.42 gears instead of 3.73).
1999 K3500 SRW crew cab long box.
(Also had a 1992 1/2 extended cab short box with a 6.2 and nv4500)

I would take any one of them right now (the best match for the engine I found to be the 6.5 1/2 ton pickup).

I just traded the '99 for a 2007 lmm duramax in February, and more than once I have wished I had my 6.5 back - I like everything about that engine, and the pickups they are in. I also have a 2000 tahoe that I pulled a new 26 foot travel trailer with, and as I was pulling it home, I kept thinking, "This would be a perfect setup if it had a 6.5 in it." With the 5.3 gas, it was less than perfect. So, nothing specific about what I like about the 6.5, but right now not having a 6.5 is a lot worse than having one ever was.

phantom309
07-13-2011, 05:09
6.5/6.2 diesels the red headed step child of the diesel truck community,.
I,ve had 4 trucks now an 88 suburban 6.2 4wd,.sold to a friend who is still driving it it has close to 500kms on it,.i bought a 93 'parts' truck that another friend bought off me and he's driving it, its a 3500 2wd single rear wheel drive truck no options 'cept p/s p/b,.it,s over 500kms, i bought a 4 dr dually ex horse hauler that's fancied up like missy's with oak interior and flares, visor, custom front bumper etc,. i hot rodded the motor after i did head gaskets,. added head studs,. modified a gm8 turbo and put a big chip in the 5068 pump,. it would routinely boost over 26 psi for a year or so,. finally melted a piston,. I bought a 94 extended cab 4x4 for the motor,.($1000) but everything worked including the air,. so i,ve been driving it for 2 yrs now,.its approaching 400kms,.
and the big dually is going to be getting a P pumped 12v cummins with the 47rh trans,.(i think) unless i come across a late model stiffer block,. then i may re-do a little motor again,.
the 4x4 has 3:42 gears and seems to be the happiest 6.5 i,ve owned it routinely does 20 mpg (converted to mini gals for you murhicans)

neat little motors ,. i like 'em.

Nick

JohnC
07-13-2011, 18:54
(converted to mini gals for you murhicans)

Yeah, but our miles are bigger! :D

henryjsx
05-24-2012, 19:55
Yeah, but our miles are bigger! :D

Totally!

I got my hands on a beat up 1971 Power Wagon W300 ... worked on it a bit and then bought a 96 3500 CC dually. I love it!

There's a lot wrong with it -- hopefully, it will be a parts truck for the next 6.5 I get.

cjones
06-07-2012, 14:36
I got into the Chevy Diesel market when we had our 5th kid. We needed a car to haul the family and luggage on vacation and around town. We first went the standard route and bought a 1999 Chysler Town and Country but every car has issues and after nickle and diming, with new transmission, I started looking for something that could haul the gear and have 4wd, etc. My options, excluding vans, were the Excursion and 6.5. My dad did everything he could to talk me out of the 6.5 but it came down to money. I could buy 2-3 mid 90's suburbans for the price of one Excursion and even if I would buy the Excursion it still requires maintenance, not to mention Ford's issues.

So, we bought a 1994 Suburban with a Jasper rebuilt engine and rebuilt tranny with 280,000 miles. I've had this rig for about a year and no issues with the engine. I've had to replace a brake caliper and hydroboost but I expected that with the miles. As others have mentioned, I have issues with overheating Exhaust temps which have slowed me down on the highway but even at 18MPG I figure I'm saving around $500-$700/yr on fuel compared to a gas suburban.

I'm new to the Diesel scene but knowing now, I would have never bought a Town and Country so compared to the mini-van I love the burb and planning on buying a 95, I like the interior better.

As others have mentioned, I plan on doing my own work on the rig, otherwise an engine change or IP change would make these engines unpractical via cost.....that's why you can buy them so cheap. Works great for the bottom feeders of the diesel world.

Here's looking forward to 400,000 miles.

greatwhite
06-07-2012, 17:19
Liked my 98 when I bought it.

Then it cracked a piston crown and left us stranded in a foreign country (usa) with a 35 foot trailer on a mountain pass.

Like turned to dislike.

A $10,000 repair bill turned dislike into hate.

A year later, hate has turned back to like.

I don't use the world "love" with inanimate objects, it cheapens the meaning of that powerful word for me. So like is as good as it gets for the truck.

Like is going to have to be good enough, I've got to keep it for another ten years to get my money back out of it!

Still, I have less in it than 3 times what it would cost for a new DMax...

vsandme
08-16-2012, 17:39
Ive had mine nearly a month now and Im still leary of it not knowing them as well. Ive owned many vehicles with tbi and vortec 350's and a few 4.3's a few of the 350's making 350,000+miles before selling them and trust them to all ends of the earth....but this 6.5 ive been on edge with driving 200miles a day. Gotta say I love the much better fuel mileage!

phantom309
11-24-2013, 13:23
6.5 diesels get into your blood then there's no getting away,.
i have a MGW wannabe dually with the same fancy wood interior, consoles, flares, cab extender thingy with a wing,. sunvisor. It's canadian camouflage in color, with red interior, it has 131,000mi and recently it developed a terminal type problem, 1 hole quit working and is pressurising the crankcase pumping oil everywhere, but it made it home nearly 500mi using 9 gals or oil,.and yesterday when it was F-F-F-F...ahem,.. Freezing cold -30c or so,. after two glows, it fired off as usual on its lumpy 7 cylinders,.went to my friends shop pulled intake and lines to see if mebbe it was something really easy like a skewed rocker arm,. but no ,. so i,ve a line on another engine,.and i'll be transferring all my stuff over to make the old girl go again,.
I still love the truck,. but i,m almost ashamed to say,. i,d love it more with a LB7 and an allison in it,..(and 3:21's) I like the style of the 92-2000 trucks more than the later models,

Nick

Howsabowt some updates as we get towards another year end?

The truck i bought for the motor for the dually has gotten to me too,.
its a 94 extended cab 4x4,. runs like a champ, i put a 5068 pump on it and it runs and pulls real well,.it's rusting away under me tho,..shame.
I,ve driven it back and forth between Ontario and Alberta 3 times,. last time pulling a pretty good load,.
bottom line i just love the old thing,

Still loving 6.5 diesel

Gmc65turbo
08-31-2014, 06:12
Hello all
I have 96 dully with a 6.5 turbo. Love the truck and the body style. But I know there has to be some not so expensive upgrades out there that won't break the bank. Where do I start? If any one has done some mods to their 6.5 that improved powered can you share list of tricks. This is my first diesel I want roll this baby out of the garage the right way.

Thanks

Robyn
08-31-2014, 07:51
Hello

A free flowing 4 inch exhaust system (Several companies offer good kits)

A power chip (Or in your case, the 96 requires an ECM swap)

Depending on the ECM program you choose, a turbo master waste gate controller would be good.

Set max boost to about 12 psi

If your truck does not have the cooling system upgrades (Dual t stat set up and high flow water pump) this is good.

A gauge set (Boost and an exhaust gas temp gauge "pyro" )

The combination of the exhaust and the reprogrammed ECM will give you about all that's easy to reach

There are several vendors that can help.

John Kennedy
Bill Heath

There are others, but these are two I am familiar with and trust.

Several companies offer larger exhaust systems for these rigs, and the big deal is BIG PIPE and a free flowing muffler.

If your interested in more $$$$$ a turbo upgrade can help some.

Hope this helps

Missy

sctrailrider
08-31-2014, 13:25
I love my 6.5 so much that I am going to celebrate by replacing it with a Cummins....

bowtiebutler
09-05-2014, 19:39
I love my 6.5 so much that I am going to celebrate by replacing it with a Cummins....

Thats cold!:D

Matt

Turbine Doc
10-09-2014, 10:17
Been forever ago since I posted here or any forums, I needed to send a message to Robyn and figured best way to get her was here, and stumbled across this thread when changing passwords from long ago.

Last update on my 6.5s was 8-9-2007

As of then to now both mine still up and running strong, the 98 C1500 burb got parked for a few years while doing a body swap (It was a Katrina salvage project) acquired in 2006. 185K on the drive-train trans rebuilt @ 165K when it failed to go in reverse, is only major issue on that one.

And my original 98 K1500 acquired in 2000 still in the game as well MANY MODS that one, stock engine ran from 98 until 2013 and was pulled last July to allow me to install my "project engine" that took 4 years to build (I spend a LOT of time on the road) I'm off to Australia in the morning to work some turbines.

The removed engine is my "running take out" spare for both vehicles now with 225K on engine when removed, project 6.5 has 6500 or so miles on it now, I don't drive it much due to high Diesel fuel costs I've moved back into my 90 4.3L C1500 gasser as my "daily driver".

Trans on the K1500 was rebuilt at 185K thinking I'd have it "fresh" to be paired with the project engine fresh, it didn't turn out that way .

BUT LOVING the 6.5s still to this day......New paint for the K1500 come 1st of the year (sons college tuition put a crimp on "toys" ) I'll run it until it rots away so I say Phooey on Dmax/Common rail/Cummins/Stroke :)

My best guesstimate to my K1500 is 250-300 rwhp now, based on 200rwhp dyno I had in 2005 pre-ATT install runs, & before installing all bells/whistles with current setup & completed project engine.

zrocket
11-11-2014, 23:15
I wanted to buy a diesel puller for the wife and I to pull a 5th wheel..Ive driven rigs with cats cummins detroits internationals kenworths peterbuilts heavy equipment ect Ford power strokes the list goes on sense 17years of age im 52 now...I was dead set on a power stroke 7.3 2000 drw $$$$....I came across a craigslist ad for a Chevy Silverado AT CC DRW 6.5 t.d. cracked head or blown gasket no water in the oil expanding radiator hose..Test drove it!! I know but i did watch temps...started up and ran like a clock drove like a Cad or more like a Volvo conventional Semi very smooth and comfortable ...went home contemplated the purchase in a brain storm of economic reasoning and my original plan to buy a dually and work on it to get it up to pulling standards I bought it drove it 20 miles home with out a problem the crazy thing is i felt 100% at home with this rig paid $2700. alcoa rims ,new rubber,canopy,tight tranny,new turbo #4 ,banks exhaust ,remote pmd, all came with it pyrometer, boost, full tank of diesel....yeah i did make the right decision without a doubt and i could not be happier.:D oh 190000 mi truck engine swapped at 128000 with a 2000 block so 62000 mi lower :D

hambdenbob
12-21-2014, 16:32
It's been since the Spring of this year that I came by You Fine Folks,and my '97/ C2500 Chevy Silverado. It's the Standard Cab,2 WD with the 8' Bed. At 274,000 miles,I must be delirious,but dammit,I love it ! I've always enjoyed the older GM Platform,and it's been there for me. I've got dreams of doing the P-400 insertion,and updating the Trans/Rear End for more enjoyable miles. I've learned so much from all of You here. I can't Thank You All Enough ! Merry Christmas,Gang,and here's to "The Road" !:cool:

Giusvald
01-11-2016, 12:19
silverado 1988 6.2 diesel thermostat 80 degrees mechanical fan that always run my diesel is very good and does not heat wheels .... 33 TH700 transmission oil cooler with additional consumption 7.5 km with one liter of diesel fuel .... ☺ ☺☺

svcattle
07-16-2016, 21:34
Love my 6.5 just hope it loves me back enough to not die from catastrophic failure

JeepSJ
07-18-2016, 10:20
I like it enough to be building a new Navistar block based engine for the DieselSJ project. And I'm seriously considering building up the 2nd Navistar block to swap into the dually to replace the 454.

rapidoxidationman
01-08-2017, 08:56
I'm impressed you joined just to rant.

I sold my 6.5 with a quarter million miles on it and it was making 19mpg on worn (original) injectors.

Carlo
02-06-2017, 13:55
I have 260,00 on my 95 and it still runs well but I'm retiring it, I just bought a 1998 cewcab dually and its getting new injectors, glow plugs a relocated PMD and eventually a fluid damper, a set of gauges and an upgraded lift pump. It has only 135,000 on it original. I think its a good engine all cylinders are coming up to 390 except for 5 is at 360?? ... Time will tell but I love the truck. I love the 6.5, especially for all the highway I do.

johncarrol
10-27-2017, 06:42
We are a very small crowd that have owned or currently own 6.2/6.5s and love them, and as far as I'm concerned, because of the vast knowledge I got from you members here at The Diesel Page. I own a couple trucks - one with a 6.2N/A and one with a 6.5N/A that I love and was happy with and never thought I would ever acquire a vehicle that in my opinion, and many others as well, is The ultimate toy with a factory 6.5 I've always stayed with N/As because I would rather use the lower gears if I need more power than deal with any turbo issues. Please excuse me, but I'm turning this reply into a quiz that has only one question and one answer. What is the vehicle that has been seen, identified, and respected by almost every American, is so versatile that it can accommodate up to 8 people, built to carry over 2 tons of payload, can go anywhere - I mean ANYWHERE, (just go on youtube) Also is the most BADASS looking ride a person could have sitting in their neighborhood and probably will be the only one in their neighborhood, and has a 6.2 or 6.5 in it? Answer - (hint) M1123. Nobody, I mean NOBODY loves their 6.5 more than I do my newest one. Period.

Diesel Dan
12-14-2017, 19:14
Still liking our truck.
Engine has been trouble free since '04 when the enhanced navistar based unit was installed. Same year and under warranty the injection pump was replaced, that PMD lasted 10 years. THEN I got around to remote mounting the FSD.

Truck still on the road, little more wear and tear all these years later. Spent a large portion of it's life hauling or towing. Now the GPs need replacing, terminals rusting off from rust belt life. Like the interior better than our sons '15 CC, LML but does not tow nearly as good, who'd have figured??

Would like a GV OD, fluid dampener and a set of 18:1s, someday.

6.5baby
06-16-2020, 08:41
I am madly in love with my potato!!! 1995 chevy 4 door dually with the 6.5 and its a choo choo! I love the motor!! I had an 82 and an 88 with the 6.2 and loved them as well.

Reason my 95 is called the potato is because its lowered(choo choo from dealer), wide, ugly as hell(black and gold fade paint job), slow(4:56 rear.. lol), and old....just like me(short, fat, slow, old and still works its butt off....lol).