PDA

View Full Version : '86/'96 transplant

TomEichenberger
08-05-2007, 20:09
Got the new truck (new to me) an '86 Burb w/ a Banks turbo system. Into this goes a '96 reman. 6.5, w/10k. Questions.
-Is it better to keep the serpentine belt system. Will it work w/ the Banks unit?
-Are there any test(s) that can be done on the engine before install to assess it's condition(leak down test?)
-Will the '86 DB2 be sufficient to "pop-off" the 6.5 injectors/turbo?
-I'm putting a DSG stud girdle kit on the 6.5. Any other "reasonable" upgrades.(I plan on putting on a pyrometer/exhaust gas temp. gauge, and maybe an intercooler; all down the road. Anything else now before install.
-Any other thoughts, idea/suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks..Tom

More Power
08-05-2007, 22:50
How did the 10K engine become available? Knowing the details might help you decide whether to open it up for a looksee. It's so much easier on an engine stand.

I'd want to keep the serp system if it'll work with the Banks turbo. If you do, be sure to carefully examine the crank pulley for any deterioration of the rubber.

A healthy 6.2 pump might pop 6.5 injectors, but a well worn one might not. Personally, I'd want matching parts if the budget allows.

Jim

TomEichenberger
08-06-2007, 02:57
Thanks for the reply Jim. The engine came out of a wrecked '96 Burb. I found a rebuilt DB2 for a 6.5 on e-bay. My thought is to get a leak down test performed. When the stud girdle kit comes, that ought to give good access to the bottom end... Tom