PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure gage flakiness

silverback
08-03-2007, 14:36
This has happened twice now. I'll look down and see oil pressure reading high. Like way to the right during acceleration RPMs. Low RPM reading is above 60. At first I thought it was an atmospheric reaction to continuous driving above 10K feet and varying weather conditions but I just had the same experience at 1200 feet and AZ monsoon weather. In all cases the oil level is perfect (not overfilled) and the truck is running great. The dealer service adviser told me the gage clusters are notoriously flaky. Anyone else have this happen. It started when the truck went over 50K miles on the odometer.
Thanks,
Ken

More Power
08-04-2007, 00:41
A Tech II scan tool can be used to read the oil pressure independent of the dash gauge. I'd do this to verify whether the dash gauge is way off.

Jim

silverback
08-04-2007, 17:48
It's back to normal again today. I'll get it checked next week.
Thanks,
Ken

pushpole
08-05-2007, 12:15
For a low tech option, you might want to try unpluging the sensor and see if meter still reads erratic. That would tell you the problem is not the sensor. Expect indicated oil pressure to go to zero. My sensor wire broke, which caused indicated oil pressure to go to zero and that got my attention very quickly! If I remember correctly, the sensor is located above the power steering control arm on the drivers side.

OhmEye
05-11-2010, 02:36
I know this is an old post, but it fits my issue perfectly. My oil pressure gauge just started acting up. It might read high at idle--above 60psi--then off the scale at higher rpms until the engine warms then we're down to 80 or so. Shut the engine down and we're not showing zero, don't remember what exactly, 40 or 50 maybe? Next time starting, pressure shows a little high but still what I'd consider "normal" range. These symptoms seem inconsistent with a flow obstruction, but wondering if I should take it serious. . .