PDA

View Full Version : Tachometer and other dash problems

movemyrv
07-31-2007, 11:34
My '04 LLY has a very high tach reading. It started at 35,000 miles, went away quickly, I ignored it. Then at 36+ it came back on occassion. Now it's my problem, not the warranty. During this time (35k-36k) they replaced the radio head and heater controls due to backlight failures. Then the board on the heater box behind the dash fried out-total meltdown. Now the tach works correctly about once a month for about 5 minutes. Dealer says it needs a new cluster for about $400.
Anyone have any experience with these issues? With the trailer towing that I do, the tach comes in handy.
Mike

tufcj
08-02-2007, 09:39
The tach/speedo has gone out on my 03 D/A 2500HD three times in 70K miles. My brothers 03 had failed twice when he sold his last year. GM has cut the $400 parts/labor in half each time when I complained. My service guy says he sees a lot of them fail.

Bob
tufcj

Luis
08-02-2007, 18:25
What do you mean when you say 'backlight failures'?
I have a '01 and I've noticed at night you cannot read TRANS TEMP FUEL TEMP gauges etc on the dash because these areas [of the gauges] are not illuminated. The light is noticeably darkening on the symbols adjacent to these readings as well. In addition the illumination on the rear defroster button and recirculation button on the A/C is gone now. Before I disassemble the dash to look, can someone tell me if there are light bulbs behind there or are they LED’s? If they are LED’s, are they anything special or can I just solder in new ones?

movemyrv
08-05-2007, 15:59
I guess I am glad to know I'm not the only one with dash cluster problems. As for the back lights, while under warranty the dealer replaced three componenets of my dash because of these and they had to replace the entire unit (radio, heater control, etc) My guess is that if GM replaces the whole thing on their dime, it's not a simple bulb replacement or even soldering in a l.e.d.

Is there any one with knowledge of a way I can replace the tach or the cluster? I'm pretty handy, but if the odometer needs to be programmed or something like that, i guess I'm out of that project.