PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problem Redux

Terrapin
07-28-2007, 09:37
Wow. I know starting problems are a tired issue, but you mods are tough. ;) I'll try again anyway.

My '83 NA Blazer 6.2L (that's for you Robyn) Starts up just fine as long as I start it everyday. If it sits for a few days though, I get no Glowplug light. The relay does not click. If I pop the hood and bypass the relay with a short wire, the relay clicks and everything's mormal again. The relay is less than a year old and the controller has been replaced within the last few thousand miles I think (I am a new owner of the truck).

I bought some 14awg wire and a momentary on switch. Should I simply install a bypass switch, or is there something else that might cause the stubborn starting?

Thanks for reading...

Robyn
07-28-2007, 10:05
I am assuming your truck still has the original two part system with the relay on the LH fender.

The issue may be that the power to the primary side of the relay is weak due to a bad connection. Be sure the pins in the controler are clean and that all the wires are in good order.
Double check the connector where it attaches to the relay.
A poor ignition switch can also contribute to this. Be sure the battery grounds as well asd the chassis grounds are clean and tight.
There are some grounds on the back of the engine RH side that need to be good too.
Poor grounds from the fender to the battery will cause all sorts of grief.
If need be install a braided ground strap from the LH fender to the battery ground or the engine block.

Grounds and conections are always to be suspect on older rigs and in general if there are electrical anomalies that are not readily attributed to a failed part.

Check it all out and let us know.

start with connections and grounds first then move on until you find the gremlin.

Robyn

DmaxMaverick
07-28-2007, 10:34
Or......

Install a 1985+ controller and be done with it. They are not expensive (way less than a 1983 replacement), and they work much better. Easy install, and a direct replacement of only one component (no relay on the fender).

Or......

Abandon the controller altogether, and add a "Ford" starter solenoid to relay your momentary switch and do it manually. It'll work every time. Just push the button. Less than $20, wiring, switch button, and solenoid included. For a little more, you can add a variable timer relay in the dash. Turn the knob for glow time and push a button. Simple.

You can spend a lot of time/effort troubleshooting the 83 controller. Best advice is to get away from it if you can. IIRC, there is an article in TDP archives somewhere on this.