PDA

View Full Version : Performance camshaft

ercaduceus
07-27-2007, 00:54
Hello all,

I know the subject of performance camshafts has been brought up before. I have read previous threads yet I still haven't good idea on what you guys think of them. I was looking at SSdiesel's performance cam. I'm told this cam will give an increase of about 40 hp. Has anyone else used them. What did you think. Does the added lift cause any concern for valve train duability? Would there be any problems with using one with a gear drive timing set?

Most of my experince is with gas motors. I've always understood that a big cam isn't a good idea with forced induction. Any advice before I spend money would be helpful.

Thanks,

More Power
07-27-2007, 14:26
Crane Cams offers (or at least offered) different grinds for the 6.5. I do know Peninsular uses the stock cam for all their engines, including their 400 twin-turbo.

Reading this could give up to 30 more hp.... ;)

Jim

Robyn
07-27-2007, 16:08
Im not real sure I would believe 40 Ponies with the cam.
With all the add ons that claim 40 more HP these suckers should be able to push out right around 500 HP with ease.

The stuff the Peninsular is doing is well documented and they have a seriously good reputation.
If a trick cam was going to do much they would have one.

With a turboed engine the trick cams really dont offer much especially in the lower power bands of a diesel like the 6.5.

I would try to get some good documentation on the claims before dropping my $$$ If they can prove the claim then go for it. If they dont have some good dyno facts I would thank them kindly for their time and then pass.

Robyn
Robyn

EWC
07-27-2007, 17:01
Or you could do like I did , a few years back , and be happy you found a Crane regrind , after calling a few of the bigger cam companies , and take a chance . Cost me under $200 and one of my cams . Can't begin to tell you if the thing even will work as my 6.2 is finally starting to look like it will be assembled soon . With more overlap and duration , I look for lower EGTs and that means more fuel and More Power !

ercaduceus
07-27-2007, 23:21
Thanks for the information. This is what SSdiesel says about their cam, the 40hp claim was from a secondary source:

Performance Roller Camshaft kit for all 6.5's in all trucks, all years, all VIN's.

Includes a custom ground performance roller cam, new hydraulic roller lifters, and a tube of cam assembly lube.

Add power to your 6.5TD with our performance cam kit.

Specs as follows...

Advertised Duration (Exhaust):300 Deg
Advertised Duration (Intake):260 Deg
Cam Lift (Exhaust):.281"
Cam Lift (Intake):.281"
Cam Timing at .050" Lobe Lift (Exhaust Close):17 Deg BTC
Cam Timing at .050" Lobe Lift (Exhaust Open):39 Deg BBC
Cam Timing at .050" Lobe Lift (Intake Close):11 Deg ABC
Cam Timing at .050" Lobe Lift (Intake Open):13 Deg ATC
Degrees Overlap:65 Deg
Duration at .050" Lobe Lift (Exhaust):202 Deg
Duration at .050" Lobe Lift (Intake):178 Deg
Lobe Centerline (Exhaust):120 Deg
Lobe Centerline (Intake):101 Deg
Valve Lash (Exhaust):Hyd.
Valve Lash (Intake):Hyd.
Valve Lift (Exhaust):.422"
Valve Lift (Intake):.422"

Price $590.00

JeepSJ
07-28-2007, 08:26
Price $590.00

That is a whole lotta money for something that will gain significantly less than the advertised 40hp. Find out if they are willing to show you their dyno test results that back up that 40hp claim.

Personally, I'd drop a stock cam back into it and use that money on a new Fluidamper.

john8662
07-28-2007, 08:35
That is a whole lotta money for something that will gain significantly less than the advertised 40hp. Find out if they are willing to show you their dyno test results that back up that 40hp claim.

Personally, I'd drop a stock cam back into it and use that money on a new Fluidamper.

It also comes with the lifters, which ain't cheap.

J