PDA

View Full Version : New diesel owner, tow questions

enforcer233
07-24-2007, 21:43
After searching for about 18 months, I purchased a 1997 Chevy Suburban, 2500, 4X4, 6.5L diesel with only 96000 miles seven days ago and I can not be happier with this truck. It is in great condition.

My intent is to be able to tow a travel trailer. I currently have not bought one yet, but I am thinking in the 32 to 36 foot range. I will confess that I have not even spoken to an RV person yet about what weight I can tow.

My question for you guys is what should I look at doing to my burb to ensure trouble free life, ie I have read about high flow water pumps and fans, or are they just for the gas engines?

Thanks

chipper
07-27-2007, 20:38
Burbs make good tow vehicles. Check the mfg max combined veh gross weight rating first. I think around 30'-32' would be your max wt.
Happy camping

Mark Rinker
07-28-2007, 06:33
Hello!

Your 6.5 burb can make a great tow vehicle, but has a few inherent design limitations that can be overcome with knowledge found here at TDP. The mods listed are in order of importance.

1) Search and find information in the 6.5 diesel forum about high volume waterpump and fan clutch. They work wonders. My advice would be to remove and de-bug your radiator and cooler stack at the same time. This modification is very important to happy heavy towing.

2) Look into exhaust upgrades. Your exhaust is how heat escapes the engine and by increasing diameter and flow, your engine stays cooler. Add EGT monitor if you complete step #4.

3) Boost increase - gets more air in to burn fuel available. Add boost gauge if you complete step #4.

4) Extra fuel. Depending on your load and your speed requirements, extra fuel (with all the other mods completed) can really wake up your truck and make it a tow-beast.

Have fun. Read alot in the archives here. Its all been done with your truck before.

Inspector
07-28-2007, 16:30
His 97 already has the dual thermostats and high volume pump. A Kennedy fan clutch would complete the system. Do all the rest that Mark suggested.
Denny

enforcer233
07-31-2007, 05:27
I assume that the Kennedy replaces the existing clutch fan, but what about replacing the existing fan and clutch with an electric fan?

I guess that the key would be the CFM that each fan could move. Does anyone know what the current fan and kennedy clutch can move?

I also seem to remember that replacing a clutch fan with an electric fan does not take anything away from the motor when the clutch engages.

I am also considering replacing all fluids in the vehicle with Amsoil synthetics, any thoughts there?

kaylabryn
07-31-2007, 07:16
They have not made an electric replacement that can come close to the cfm capabilities of the engine drive fan. And yes you definitely want to switch everything over to 100% synthetic, just make sure everything is in good working order prior to switching. Also with the kind of weight you are wanting to pull, just make sure you have patience and not try and force the Burb up the hill, let it do the job in it's own time. "DO NOT TOW WITHOUT GAUGES" unless you just do not like your engine anymore.

enforcer233
08-03-2007, 14:55
Thanks I will keep your advise close to mind as I work on these conversions. I plan to do the fluids first then work on the the other modifications.