PDA

View Full Version : Auto Transmission - What happened?

MicroRacer
11-29-2003, 11:12
I recently posted that I thought I might have a problem with my transmission before I went on a trip. As a precaution I installed an transmission cooler and a temperature gauge. I installed the temperature gauge in a tee before the oil went into the cooler.

I watched the temperature gauge religiously and the temperature on the trip never got above 125 degrees. The outside temperature was mostly in the high 30's so I didn't know what to expect.

Every now and again I would smell what I thought was burning oil, but the smell went away on day one and I thought everything was ok. The second day started off without a hitch. About 50 miles into the second say (about 350 overall) I started smelling something again. I looked at the temperature gauge and it was still showing no higher than 120 degrees. I started going up a long hill (I70) in Wheeling, WV (I think) and the truck went to down shift for the fist time during the trip and it slipped big time. As I continued up the hill as long as I kept might foot out of it the truck would stay in high gear.

We decided that something was not right so I pulled over in the Welcome Center just inside PA. I checked my fluid level and it was fine and I then smelled the oil and it was definitely burned. My plan was to immediately go to a transmission shop. Well when I put the truck in gear it did not move.

Right now my truck is in Washington, PA in the Cottman transmission shop. The diagnosis was that the torque converter (claimed to be a cheap model) went out and took a bunch of other stuff with it. Price for the repair is going to cost me $2500.

I'm really disappointed that the temperature gauge did not give me any warning what so ever. even when I smelled the transmission there was no rise in the temperature gauge.

I'm thinking that I definitely have to put the temperature gauge in a different place. What an expensive way to find out.

MicroRacer
11-30-2003, 00:39
Well it's 3 o

Shad
11-30-2003, 02:10
Someone just recently made a post about ordering a drain kit from summit for the trans pan and threading the sensor into the pan. I havent done this however I would think it would be more accurate there...

kowsoc
11-30-2003, 05:54
I believe the temperature sensed in the cooler line would be quicker to respond to a rise in temps from say pulling a hill since the oil leaves the torque convertor before heading to the cooler. So the hottest temps are before the cooler. The cool oil then heads to the pan. The torque convertor generates HUGE amounts of heat when unlocked and under load. I try to drive so the convertor is locked or use a lower gear if speed is reduced pulling a long incline. A torq locking device is definitely a good investment for towing.

Sorry to hear about you trouble.

MicroRacer
11-30-2003, 15:02
Does anybody know which line going to the radiator is the supply line and which one is return?

Uncle Wally
11-30-2003, 18:31
When doing a trans flush, you disconnect the top line on the top of the radiator. That is the outlet side of the trans. Just follow it back and you shouldn't have a prob figuring out which is which.

Waldo