PDA

View Full Version : Injection pump timing?

V8fleetside
07-23-2007, 06:18
How do I get the correct timimg for the Injection pump on my 6.2L Heavy Duty -89. I found two marks, one on the body and the other on the pump.
Should they be right towards each other?
The pump has been in place all the time with it 's bolts, but I was (a bad misstake) moving the pump sideways when I had loosen it a little to get the fuel lines away.
Any ideas about the timing procedure?

Robyn
07-23-2007, 07:37
Originally these engines have one mark that is stamped into the timing cover as well as the IP housing.
There is a tool that will locate the true TDC mark for the pump but thats a GM tool and in all the years I have been around these I have only seen one.
Probably someone has bumped the timing a tad to compensate for timing chain wear and then remarked it or possibly pumps were changed or who knows what???

How far apart are the two marks?

To do a proper setup on these requires a timing meter with either a luminosity probe or a pulse sensor.

With these tools the timing can be set back to factory specs.

If the marks are not to far apart, pick one and see how the little critter runs.

If it rattles like an unhappy Powerstroke you are a tad too far advanced.
The other situation would be to far retarded and that will show up as a very quiet running engine that may be a tad hard to start when warm and has low power.

You should notice a fair amount of rattle when the Cold advance is on and then it should quiet down when that shuts off.

You can also look for other tell tale signs in the area of the pump mating surface to see if you can find where it was when you messed with it.

Hope this helps

Robyn

V8fleetside
07-23-2007, 12:08
Well...staying in front of the engine the mark is now 3 mm to the left.
I can not try to start the motor yet because I have a lot to do before that, mounting the generator, vacumpump or a few things more.

V8fleetside
08-13-2007, 01:50
WOW!..the engine is running great now, better than before.
I decided to use the two marks that I found, they are now pointing towards each other and I think that's OK.
But now the engine is leaking oil, probably the valvecover gasket..puh.