PDA

View Full Version : newby

jack dragger
07-22-2007, 17:35
egr coolant problem---anyone help

Dakster
07-22-2007, 18:12
I'm no expert, but can you elaborate a little? Especially with the year, make, model, engine of the truck in question...

jack dragger
07-23-2007, 07:27
I have a 2006 Chevrolet Kodiac HD 5500 W/ 6.6L. It is on a seneka motor home. I recently took a vacation trip from Texas to Florida. On the way i had a complete breadown ( all controll was shutdown==engine,steering etc ect:(
some 26000 lbs moving 60 mph. wreckered=chevyrolet dealer twice:confused:
service reported egr coolant problem twice

Duramaster
07-23-2007, 07:35
Is there a DTC? Or did the engine shut down because it sensed a low coolnt level? Did the "LOW COOLANT" light turn on along with the "ENGINE SHUTDOWN" light? :confused: :confused: :confused:

jack dragger
07-23-2007, 14:32
Thanks for reply. Actually im new to diesels. To answer your question, everything on the cluster was blinking along with a bell for about 3 seconds ,then the engine shut down--left me with no steering going about 65 and was in a no pull off area :( really dangerous

jack dragger
07-23-2007, 14:34
Sorry don't know about ( DTC):confused:

Duramaster
07-23-2007, 15:18
Sounds like the engine shut down because of a low coolant condition. If the coolant level is good, then the sensor in the coolant resevoir is probably defective. Restart the engine and pay attention to the IPC. If the low coolant light comes on followed by an "X" with a circle around it (I believe that is what it looks like), then the engine is being shut down because of a low coolant condition.

JohnC
07-23-2007, 15:23
Sounds like a big time power (electrical) problem to me...

jack dragger
07-23-2007, 19:18
Sounds like the engine shut down because of a low coolant condition. If the coolant level is good, then the sensor in the coolant resevoir is probably defective. Restart the engine and pay attention to the IPC. If the low coolant light comes on followed by an "X" with a circle around it (I believe that is what it looks like), then the engine is being shut down because of a low coolant condition.

yes i now for sure it was the coolant==it was fixed twice only 500 miles down the road from the first time. And by the way ALL lights lit when it went boom

Mark Rinker
07-24-2007, 07:12
So - WHY is it using coolant? Do you have visible leak? Any white smoke from the exhaust?

You'll want to get to the bottom of this mystery, or larger problems will be in your future. Did the engine actually overheat at any time?

jack dragger
07-24-2007, 07:36
So - WHY is it using coolant? Do you have visible leak? Any white smoke from the exhaust?

You'll want to get to the bottom of this mystery, or larger problems will be in your future. Did the engine actually overheat at any time?

Mystery=counting origonal egr failure, this motor is on the 3rd egr. the engine has around 6,000 miles on it. my heat guage was normal both times. I watch my guages. yes i'm ( with help) trying to get input======thanks for reply

Duramaster
07-24-2007, 07:46
I don't see how an EGR Valve failure will result in coolant loss. ??? Unless you are referring to the EGR Cooler itself.

Mark Rinker
07-24-2007, 07:55
Good news on the no overheating.

You should stay in close contact with the motorhome manufacturer as well as the GM dealers. In fact, if I were you, I would insist each time that you are in for service, that the (GM) Service Manager call the (Motorhome) Tech Support directly and report why you are in for service.

Make sure you keep a good audit trail of the repairs, invoices, etc in case you need it in the future.

jack dragger
07-24-2007, 08:07
sorry to mention (valve) see threads ( jack dragger)Coolant problems

jack dragger
07-24-2007, 08:20
Trust me, I keep all records of anything i do. Thank you for any help you can give me.