PDA

View Full Version : DB2 conversion

matuva
07-22-2007, 04:28
Hi all,

a buddy of mine owns a non turbo 6.5 Cheyenne.

Building more power on this engine seems not an easy way : no chip as there's no turbo, so no benefit; and turbo kit is almost expensive....

Solutions should be to buy a turbo chevy or may be converting to mechanical DB2 IP.

We've been told that do exist 3 kinds of DB2, one at 140 HP, the other around 180 HP and, the most intersting one, at 310 HP. Can anybody give us more precisions about that?, Is it 310HP with HO Marine injectors or with stock one (bet marine)?

As far as I remember, someone wrote a book on DB2 conversion, but I can't find any more link about that, in the forum, and in the auction site. Anybody remember who wrote that book?

Thank you fot your help.

Robyn
07-22-2007, 07:47
If you are going to push past 160 HP you need a turbo.
Watch ebay and pick up a used Banks turbo setup.
The DB2 can be turned up some to work well with the turbo.

310HP is going to be the upper limits of power with one of these engines and requires big exhaust, an after cooler and some tweeking on the turbo system along with some cooling mods too.

Nothing comes for free on these little creatures. If you want HP its $$$$$

Good luck

Robyn

matuva
07-22-2007, 13:29
Thanks for highlighting the need of a turbo.
Well, no turbo means no more horses with these engines so.

He might get a chance to sell his manual cheyenne and buy a 1995 K1500 turbo.
May be that should be the first and best thing to do for my friend as It looks like doing DB2 conversion won't be possible, or least won't be of any benefit except on a 6.5 TD.

At this point, is it worth the money? Should the reflashed ECM be theeasiest and more reliable way of extracting more HP?