PDA

View Full Version : Balanced Injectors?

TurboDiverArt
08-31-2005, 01:34
Hi all,

I notice a difference in price between hi-perf injectors. Most balanced ones from Kennedy and Heath for example are in the $550-$600 range. Others from Wickliff are in the $375 range. I know from previous posts that the Wickliff ones are 2200 psi pop pressure and use the better flowing nozzles. The only thing I cannot tell is if they are balanced. This seems to be the only difference I can tell.

I assume balancing with Diesel injectors is the same as balancing with other common rail injectors. Where the flow rates are checked and all 8 injectors are brought within a particular flow rate to each other.

Other than maybe evening fuel distribution out, what

john8662
08-31-2005, 12:58
All reman and new injectors are set to be within a certain range. So in effect they are balanced anyways.

I couldn't find anywhere on Kennedy's website a mention that the injectors were balanced.

Personally I think the hi-pop injectors are probably a waste of money, because they retard the injection timing because it takes the injection pump more time to produce the pressure to pop the injector.

I'd go with stock new or reman injectors that include new nozzles.

Hubert
08-31-2005, 18:50
Curious here cause I'll need injectors some time too.

Balanced means balanced flow or opening/closing pressure?

I think something measures the balance of injection shot of each cylinder and will SES if incorrect??? What is this?

I am asking here I don't know. Assuming good timing chain/mechanics and IP - Fluid is incompressible would Hi-pop injectors change timing or maybe shorten the "shot" both sides opening closing????

High pop is to increase atomization of fuel and increase combustion effeciency right?

Again I don't know? So there are high performance nozzles too besides bigger marine versions and different than hi-pop?

Barry Nave
08-31-2005, 19:39
Hubert.
I'm with you on line 5
JK injector have 80K
I just cant bet being able to get 16mpg on my truck. Side mounted tool box and the weight,can't call it an areo turck.

Barry Nave
08-31-2005, 19:44
Truck :D

TurboDiverArt
09-01-2005, 06:48
Originally posted by john8662:
All reman and new injectors are set to be within a certain range. So in effect they are balanced anyways.

I couldn't find anywhere on Kennedy's website a mention that the injectors were balanced.

Personally I think the hi-pop injectors are probably a waste of money, because they retard the injection timing because it takes the injection pump more time to produce the pressure to pop the injector.

I'd go with stock new or reman injectors that include new nozzles. I thought I remember reading about balanced injectors on either John's or Bill's site. A little more power would be nice but I'm actually more interested in gas mileage without decreasing the power. The truck right now has enough power to tow my 5500 trailer through the hills of northern PA, which is about all I need.

I thought hi-pop injectors smoothed the idle a bit and added some power. I'm assuming from a better atomizing nozzle that it can only help MPG and maybe power too. If I don't have to go hi-pop I think it would be less stress on the IP and add longevity. My thinking is that a higher pop pressure would also add to better atomizing which would lead to better MPG.

What's the better nozzle number to have so I know what to ask for?

Thanks,
Art.

john8662
09-01-2005, 16:46
How many miles are on your burb?

If you've got many more than 100k, then you'll notice a difference with just swapping them out for stock injectors. I installed new stock injectors in my 95 with 108k on it and noticed a faster spool of turbo, but no difference in mpg. I don't think you will find a measurable difference in mpg with swapping out the injectors, unless you have many many miles (200k +).

Just find some new Bosch or Delphi injectors if you can for a reasonable price.

TurboDiverArt
09-07-2005, 09:21
Originally posted by john8662:
How many miles are on your burb?

If you've got many more than 100k, then you'll notice a difference with just swapping them out for stock injectors. I installed new stock injectors in my 95 with 108k on it and noticed a faster spool of turbo, but no difference in mpg. I don't think you will find a measurable difference in mpg with swapping out the injectors, unless you have many many miles (200k +).

Just find some new Bosch or Delphi injectors if you can for a reasonable price. Sorry, late in replying. I have 160K on my truck. I believe the injectors were changed at about 80K. That's what the previous owner recalled, no real reason to doubt him. I bought the truck from a wholesaler and tracked the previous owner down from the title. He seemed very excited to speak to me and was very helpful. My thinking with the new injectors was that if I could get the better nozzles it would atomize better and maybe give better fuel economy. I get decent economy at 16MPG highway, about 14-15 around town and 12-14 towing depending if it's straight hi-way and no hills. I typically drive at 70 MPH (2200-2300 RPM's), towing or not. I have the stock exhaust with no CAT. Other than a Uni foam air cleaner the truck is stock. I just ordered a new straight through muffler from Summit ($25), see if it gets me an extra 1/2-MPG or so.

Truck runs great and starts fine but I have no reference point. I bought the truck with 120K on it so if the injectors were already shot I would not know.

Art.

john8662
09-07-2005, 10:51
Sounds like they're fine then.

For an extra .5mpg you could do what I did and install some aluminum rims. I gained the .5mpg by installing the aluminum rims verses the heavy steel rims, but you could be sacraficing towing capacity.

GMC Hauler
09-07-2005, 15:29
I don't think you'll sacrifice towing capacity if you use the right rims... click on the link in my signature line and go to the general stuff. I used factory rims form a Duramax truck. They are 20 pounds lighter each.

80 pounds... that's a lot of rotating mass.

I did see a MPG increase, probably .5

Go for the spare rim if you got the dough... that makes 100 pounds total

[ 09-07-2005, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: GMC Hauler ]

moondoggie
09-08-2005, 05:10
Good Day!

[i]