PDA

View Full Version : Lights & Manuals

VinDiesel
10-18-2003, 08:09
Newbie questions re '98 2500 Suburban diesel:

1)Location of the headlight circuit breaker? I installed Kennedy harness and while the dims work, the bright do not come on at all. Figure that might be the place to check as fuse box does not seem to indicate any control for the headlamps.
2)Security light comes on (red) but no longer blinks; truck no longer "self-locks" nor gives warning beeps when locking with electronic key. Have I really messed things up?
3)Helms appears to have no manuals for this year/make. Any suggestions re location of good manual(s) appreciated.
TIA for any info.

ucdavis
10-18-2003, 09:17
If all else fails on the manual, Workhorse.com sells a manual for its '98 P chassis w/the 6.5. This will cover drivability, but chassis will differ in position of some things (e.g. lift pump & starter fuel relay locations) and Workhorse never handled an EGR version of the engine that I know of so EGR isn't covered.
Welcome to the Forum.

Turbine Doc
10-18-2003, 09:41
Check again I got my 98 manual at Helms, on my 98 the headlights are fuse protected not by CB it is located in the under hood fuse/relay box in front of the brake booster a 50 amp fuse. Do you have some way I can fax you schematics from my 98 book

I don't see how you could have "messed things up" with HB kit, did you remember to install the diode in the kit that keeps the high beams on with lows or install it to correct polarity, I don't remember exactly how it went but I installed the same kit 2 yrs ago no problems like you describe. Also make sure you have connected extra ground per the kit instructions. Go to Kennedy's web site if I remember correctly he has how to do it posted there as well.

rjschoolcraft
10-18-2003, 12:01
The Suburban and Tahoe are covered under the C/K trucks for that year. Look under C/K truck, not under Suburban (where you will get only the Suburban specific stuff).

VinDiesel
10-19-2003, 07:55
Thanks for all the replies. Harness grounds were done and diode install made no difference. Anyway, things have gone downhill since as the truck won't even start! (Fired it up, went about 5mi. to church, came out - no start.) Batt & charging indicators look good but I assume from the weak click in the front that the batteries, although adv. as brand new by the seller, are down. Will search this forum for electrical problems. Have to admit am highly disappointed in the lack of reliability here. Have had truck two weeks and now I wouldn't trust it in the mountains.

VinDiesel
10-20-2003, 11:56
OK. After I calmed down over making 5yrs. of payments on a truck that died on me, I decided to KISS the truck. Jumped started it, got it home, and set the batteries a-rechargin'. Yeah,new batteries were installed but the terminals were a mess under the red stuff that was simply sprayed on-no cleaning or anything else done! Followed the directions in "Improved Side Terminal Battery Connections" and reconnected batteries. Hope that takes care of the "whimpy click" problem.

>>>I now appear to be back to where I was, i.e. headlight dims OK, no brights and "self-lock" not working. No comforting beep when locking with the key either.<<<

In the meantime, thanks to Ron since, yup, a Helms search on C/K brought up the shop manual set - it must be right costing $120! Thanks to Tim for the fax offer; I found a post in this group pointing out e-toolbox.com wherein there is a schematic. Also thanks for the pointer to the 50amp monster which is intact. BTW I should have said I had changed oil and put in a new fuel filter. Any further thoughts on the dim/brights problem appreciated. Will post back when it gets solved.

VinDiesel
10-20-2003, 17:00
The no-brights problem is solved. A bit subtle. Decided to re-check the resistance and bent pins per Kennedy's install instr. Looked like a pin was bent in the high (black) adapter of the harness. However, in the process of trying to see better with a bright light, it appeared that one of the pins looked shorter than the other. Checking the back of the adapter showed that the shorter pin had been pulled out somewhat - I assume from the connecting wire being caught wrestling with the headlight. Pushing this pin in with a small screwdriver and lo! brights worked. This now leaves me with only the security problem. I will make a new post for it since I doubt anyone is reading this one anymore except me!

rjschoolcraft
10-20-2003, 17:20
I'm still here...just have no input on the security system. :( Sorry.