PDA

View Full Version : peninsular 6.5

wind dog
08-31-2005, 00:28
I have a '93 2500 4x4 in need of more power for towing. Only engine mod is Banks exaust and air intake. Peninsular has a 300hp 6.5 that seems like would work out fine. Anyone out there that has done this? Is the engine reliable? Thanks

Hansh
08-31-2005, 03:54
I installed a Peninsular Engine in my 1993. To get the 300 hp you will also need the IP that Peninsular sells. You will also need to upgrade your injectors and turbo. I am running the stock IP and turbo, with marine injectors, and the engine runs great, but it does not produce 300hp. For my use I do not need 300 HP, but I wanted the 18:1 compression ratio. I can always upgrade later. I have only pulled boats with it, it tows fine, fuel mileage is good, and the engine seems to be slightly quiter while driving. You will also have to install a new engine oil cooler. Talk to Peninsular, they are good to work with.

Bill Siver
08-31-2005, 04:16
Is that IP from Peninsular a DS4, or a DB2?

Bill

john8662
08-31-2005, 05:35
The 300HP pump is a DB2 pump.

For DS4 there is one alternative, a Wester's pump, but it's kind of experimental, with some pretty poor results so far.

markrinker
08-31-2005, 09:57
Or...buy a Duramax and make the payments with the parts, labor and fuel savings.

rjschoolcraft
08-31-2005, 19:23
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
Or...buy a Duramax and make the payments with the parts, labor and fuel savings. Boy, you converted quickly... :D

willibig
09-01-2005, 08:41
I put a 300hp version of their engines in my 89 about 5 years ago and so far it has done well. I will say that i have had some overheating problems but that is due to not having enough rad. cooling area this should not be a problem with later model trucks. Otherwise the power is great, i've had no problems with the engine. I would try to run at least 3.5" exhaust, i am using a stright 4" custom mandrel system.

Good luck

Cowracer
09-01-2005, 10:14
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
Or...buy a Duramax and make the payments with the parts, labor and fuel savings. Boy, you converted quickly... :D </font>[/QUOTE]No $hit man! How much are DMAX injectors, mark!

(lucky stiff)

Tim

(please dont mistake my jealousy for animosity)

markrinker
09-01-2005, 12:01
I *have* converted quickly, but still own and value my two PAID FOR '94 6.5 shortie flatbed plow trucks.

At ~160K miles each of HARD towing and plowing work, they are showing their age and I am hoping to get a few more years of profitable plowing out of them - by not racking up as many highway miles.

The Dmax is getting much better fuel mileage than I ever saw from either of the 4.10 geared '94 K3500s. I never could figure why the mileage was so poor, maybe I just drove too fast.

With 10K miles on in less than two months, the fuel savings alone has almost made the truck payments.

C.K. Piquup
09-04-2005, 09:57
I run a Peninsular 300hp.It makes the truck worth keeping.Drops jaws on all the dinks that didn`t know what a diesel was before the Duramax.They know it`s a diesel when they smell the black smoke that I mysteriously disappeaer in. smile.gif